Do you prefer simple or fancy rear-view mirrors?

Heavier? Are you kidding, Charlie? It's 20 grams or so. They aren't even expensive. Are you
trying hard to search for issues where there's actually none?

What car? I never ever had any single complaint about any auto-dimming mirror. I even don't
see any reason not to have an auto-dimming mirror. I have one car without and I rarely drive it
at night. If I did I would surely miss auto-dimming (as well as better = modern tech headlights,
but that's another discussion you'll certainly start soon).

What's exactly the point for a compass in 2021? I use to know what direction I'm driving.
If going anywhere unknown I use navigation. Thought anyone does today. Am I wrong?

While I agree that using cameras sounds overly and unnecessarily complicated, weight is
certainly the least of my concerns. I'd suggest leaving your smartphone at home because
it's too heavy for your car!
Heavier? ahahahahaha I actually installed one in my Sportwagen (VW accessory) b/c I missed it so much. Compass though....love me a compass....always nice to have to me. Yes, I'm usually using Waze but there is just something soothing about always knowing the compass direction I'm driving b/c some of the apps don't show it and just right the map to your driving directino.

My compass is next to the clock. I rarely watch it:

33805142tv.jpg

25584-img-20190203-132925-jpg

Not my own pictures, borrowed them from google. First is a standard Golf, second is Golf R. GTI is
similar to R, but with red details instead of blue. I wouldn't have spent money for that, but it came
standard on the GTI Performance model and passing on LSD and bigger brakes definitely wasn't an
option for me.
Charlie would for sure get a heart attack instantly if his car had such complicated and heavy stuff. :D

The auto dimming mirror in my 300 worked great even with 20% tint on the windows. Mirror in my truck also works great and I love that the backup camera screen is in it.

Only thing I look for is an auto dim feature, and maybe an outside temperature display. Not at all bothered about anything else.

I like tech on everything. My Genesis had a ton of tech in it. My next upcoming car will too.

My Jeep though, it’s a stripped down government base model. It didn’t even have rear speakers when the state of AZ ordered it. I’ve since added a center armrest and rear speakers and a tiny sub. That’s all, glad it’s simple for it’s use too.

Low tech mirrors are plain mirrors that allow you to flip a switch to "dim" them. They tend to not have a compass. These are also inexpensive and light weight. These seem to have excellent manual "dimming" feature.

Higher tech mirrors have a compass, and "auto-dimming" feature. These are expensive, heavier, and I personally have never found the "dimming" feature to work adequately or as well as the manual style. I do appreciate the compass, however.

Apparently, newer models that I do not have experience with use a rearward facing camera to digitally feed the image, and other fancy options. Sounds heavy and expensive to replace and overly complicated for the needs of a mirror. I wonder if rain, fog, snow, or bird droppings could block the mirror camera lens?

I'm very much in camp and prefer the "simple, cheap, reliable" category of the low-tech mirrors. What do you prefer and why?
I have never flipped the tab on my rear view mirror. I had the windows tinted the next day after I bought my truck new. The back window has 2 layers of 5% tint on it. Headlights look like candles in my rear view mirror. :cool:

I would consider auto-dimming "low tech" at this point and anything with a camera "high tech". That being said, there are certain features that I would never consider not having, and auto-dimming is one of them.

Auto dimming. Most definitely. I'm going to go as far as to find the optional auto dimming mirror with compass for the elantra and install it.. Most every car we had usually panther platforms / Fords and even our last few Hyundais came with auto dimming mirrors, even if it was mid range model.. The mid 2000's Honda/acura auto dimming mirrors would leak, and ruin your interior/center console area though.. lol.

I'm the epitome of "No options for me because they're expensive and they break" mentality, however......

Current vehicle came with an auto-dimming center rearview mirror.

Now I knock on doors with petitions demanding such mirrors be mandated.

When Sis ordered a new car I told her to get an auto-dimming mirror.

When I drive our sole vehicle of 5 ('13 Ford Focus) that has a basic rear view, it sucks. The end. Even my '03 Passat has one.

I love the auto dim. My Tahoe has auto dim in the D side outside also which is great for the slow passers in the left lane at night not to mention them having the high beams on.
My Traverse has the rear view camera option inside, such a wide angle view it's horrible. No way to judge anything in it, absolute junk gadget.

I've never had an auto-dimming mirror... sounds like I better never drive a car with one then.

I've never had an auto-dimming mirror... sounds like I better never drive a car with one then.
It's just a nice-to-have, we all survived without this stuff but once you have it, you ask yourself....when would I ever not want this? It's like cruise control.

It's just a nice-to-have, we all survived without this stuff but once you have it, you ask yourself....when would I ever not want this? It's like cruise control.
Right. The longer I put it off, the longer I won’t need it. It took me a few months to get used to not having an automatic trans and a non power seat—still miss my heated seats.

I have a Silverado with the camera mirror. I didn't know that was even a thing when I bought the truck. Turns out, it's pretty good at seeing things behind the truck and I like it.

I have a Silverado with the camera mirror. I didn't know that was even a thing when I bought the truck. Turns out, it's pretty good at seeing things behind the truck and I like it.

I think it's a brilliant idea, especially in a truck. If you have a camper shell or a large load in the bed obstructing your view, you get it back!

Back