Do you prefer simple or fancy rear-view mirrors?

Hundreds if you have to replace it, but I never have seen a single one fail.
Just 100-200 if you have to pay for it as an option.

The one on my dad's Passat broke and so did the one on my 328. The LCD tinting layer is prone to damage from heat. Maybe the newer ones last longer.

What's simple if you have to switch something? Auto-dim = no action required.

Not my experience. Dazzling brightness is what makes me see less.

What weight? One single ounce? Dude, if weight is a concern you're another one
(next to the OP) who should leave his smartphone at home. A panoramic sunroof
is 1000 (!!) times heavier. It's just grotesque.

As I said, I rarely have felt the need to do so, even in low cars like my bmw. And when I’ve had them in rentals, and I don’t like what I see, then I have to fiddle with the stupid auto dim mirror to get the picture I want. Again, a solution to a problem I didn’t have.

Who said I wanted a panoramic sunroof either? Or any other obscenely priced, bound to fail “luxury option”? There’s a vast difference between embracing technology, and stupid unnecessary stuff.

Right now we a passing a bump in the road in our supply chains - but expect digital “mirrors” to be very common in 5 years - not just on higher end vehicles. Maybe we shouldn’t worry about it in a single cab work truck - but in an SUV, van, a fastback coupe etc … the blind spots can be replaced with panoramic viewing.

Right now we a passing a bump in the road in our supply chains - but expect digital “mirrors” to be very common in 5 years - not just on higher end vehicles. Maybe we shouldn’t worry about it in a single cab work truck - but in an SUV, van, a fastback coupe etc … the blind spots can be replaced with panoramic viewing.

As much as I’m against the dimming mirror because I don’t like how it looks/performs personally, I can see this as a benefit. Both our Honda vehicles have a little camera on the passenger mirror, which shows through the screen in the dash. It’s great. Eyes forward, bigger picture, good view. I do think digital mirrors will be a win.

As much as I’m against the dimming mirror because I don’t like how it looks/performs personally, I can see this as a benefit. Both our Honda vehicles have a little camera on the passenger mirror, which shows through the screen in the dash. It’s great. Eyes forward, bigger picture, good view. I do think digital mirrors will be a win.
Yes, and the Driver will instinctively glance to the same location prior to a lane change etc.

I've been persuaded to some degree by the feedback/comments. I can understand it in specialty applications. Thanks for the polite non-condescending dialogue.
However, having just looked up the price differential it's bigger than I expected at about 10x the cost of normal mirrors. Paying thousands of dollars extras for fancy mirrors is bananas IMO.

Where are you seeing the price? This was standard equipment on my Jeep and RAM.

Where are you seeing the price? This was standard equipment on my Jeep and RAM.

I've looked up aftermarket replacements.

I'm merely stating that on a $20,000 car with fancy mirrors, it might represent 10% of the cost of the car. I'd rather have the same car for $18k and regular mirrors, as an example.

I've looked up aftermarket replacements.

I'm merely stating that on a $20,000 car with fancy mirrors, it might represent 10% of the cost of the car. I'd rather have the same car for $18k and regular mirrors, as an example.
Remember, what the OEM charges us for replacement parts isn't even remotely close to what they pay for them. The mark-up on some of this stuff is obscene.

A fun one: You buy the factory tow package for a Grand Cherokee, it's a relatively inexpensive option, gets all the nice integrated wiring, modified rear bumper to cover the receiver...etc. You get the OE hitch added at the dealer and it's like 3x the price.

Remember, what the OEM charges us for replacement parts isn't even remotely close to what they pay for them. The mark-up on some of this stuff is obscene.

A fun one: You buy the factory tow package for a Grand Cherokee, it's a relatively inexpensive option, gets all the nice integrated wiring, modified rear bumper to cover the receiver...etc. You get the OE hitch added at the dealer and it's like 3x the price.

Great post!!!

And when I’ve had them in rentals, and I don’t like what I see, then I have to fiddle with the stupid auto dim mirror to get the picture I want.

What's to fiddle with? You just need to adjust it once like any rearview mirror.

Who said I wanted a panoramic sunroof either?

You didn't but I didn't too. You said "unnecessary weight" and I gave an example for an option its weight's worth talking about. You'll agree that some people buy sunroofs. Weight is definitely not a thing when it comes to auto-dimming mirrors. Would you still insist that one single ounce is a reason to complain about?

Or any other obscenely priced, bound to fail “luxury option”? There’s a vast difference between embracing technology, and stupid unnecessary stuff.

I accept you don't need it, I even accept it's unnecessary for you, however it's neither "obscenely priced" (it's a 150 € option for a Mini and has been standard on my GTI) nor "bound to fail" nor "stupid" as a safety item is rarely stupid.

I have a 2012 Honda accord ex-l with the auto dim rear view mirror, can I swap this mirror out for a low tech day/night mirror?

Got one in my Gen Coupe that still works. Sometimes the compass gets confused and it doesn't dim from the sunset.

I always leave my mirror on full bright. My side view mirrors are where most of the light gets reflected and they don't dim

I won't own a car without one, had them ever since Honda offered them, never had a problem with dimming, early ones that had the integrated compass, compass would go wonky sometimes, but the dimming was always good.

Back