Do you plant flowers or attractants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to attract butterflies, bees and hummingbirds on my farm and have planted a few things over the years.

I have narrowed down for the most part what seems to work the best for me..but open to suggestions.

Butterfly bushes- I have 3 different colors all seem to make the butterflies happy.

Orange Jewelweed- This grows natrually all along my creekbanks and my decks- the hummingbirds really tear these up.

Mexican Sunflower- This will be my third year of planting these- the butterflies bumblebees and honeybees absolutely love these. If i could have just one attractant this would be the one.

Calibrachoa (million bells)- I accidently found that the hummingbirds absolutely love these flowers. I got a small plant that was almost dead at a Lowes clearance and it thrived in a large pot on my deck. I cant find seeds for these so I guess i will have to buy the live plants. A snowberry clearwing (hummingbird moth) showed up last year and really enjoyed these.

Sunflowers- I planted a decent row of sunflowers from my black oil sunflower bird seed just to see what would happen- The bumblebees and honeybees seem to live and sleep in the heads.

I am going to plant a few Trumpet Vines this year on a pallet trellis to see what happens. I know they are invasive but i have a good spot for them. I have heard that the hummingbirds love these.

I am in West Virginia so i only have 6 or so good months of flowering.

Consider canna in your garden. They attract butterflies. The only downside is the rhizomes don't overwinter well and need to be dug up and put in a root cellar before winter freezes the soil.

We had quite a few things that did … but looking like 2/3 were killed in the freeze …

I grow some Autumn Joy Sedum. Very easy to grow perennial and propagate. But it flowers in late summer and the bees will cover it. I've seen at least 8 different bees wasp feeding on it.

The various lilies are also great attractors for humming birds. As is trumpet vine, but beware it spread all over.

And I have a Milkweed patch for the Monarch butterflies.

I too caution against trumpetvine. I've been trying to eradicate it from my backyard for the past 20 years. It's growing into my existing bushes and it will not go away.

My wife has a butterfly garden. She has Cannas, Salvia, Hibiscus ( in containers), Cone flowers, Mexican Petunia ( invasive ) and several medium sized river rocks for the butterflies to sun on. She also has a Butterfly box. The Hummingbirds love this setup as well.

How about some Kudzu?
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back