Do you own more vehicles than you really need?

My wife and I each have a car as we both drive and at times need to do different things at the same time.

Do you own more vehicles than you really use/need? Do you collect them? Sentimental reasons? Occasional utility use?

How many do you have?

Yes. Better now than before though. It's just me and my wife, but we had 5 vehicles on the driveway not too long ago. Bought some, sold some, now down to:
- 2010 Toyota Avalon 3.5L (113K) - chariot for wife and daughter, highway cruiser for vacations.
- 2010 Volvo XC70 3.2L (269k) - my high mileage workhorse.
- 2006 Toyota Camry 3.0L (207k) - spare car, always ready if Avalon or XC70 need downtime for any repairs.
- 2020 Honda Ruckus 0.049L (3.8k) - the 49cc unsung hero in this time of high fuel prices, becomes my daily commuter when weather allows. Definitely teaches me patience and ability to slow down and enjoy life, thanks to 38MPH top speed. >100MPG is nice though, as all other cars get ~20-24MPG max in daily commutes.

Last edited:
Just my wife and I. We have 2 vehicles, an Audi A4 quattro and a Corolla Hybrid. I'll drive the Audi to work if she's using the Corolla for business travel.

I live on 5 acres and am the only home on my road without both a truck and SUV. I hate driving trucks and have always rented one from a Lowes/Menards/Home Depot as needed.

Kinda irked I didn't buy a truck before the new vehicle shortage.
I'm considering the new Nissan Frontier crew cab long bed. I'm very indecisive.

I do right now after buying the 2011 Ranger last year, but it's intended to replace my late dad's 1992 Silverado, which is one major repair need away from the knackers'. Probably the Chevy will be "retired" this year. An employee lease car from my automaker employer is around too.

Just my wife and I. We have 2 vehicles, an Audi A4 quattro and a Corolla Hybrid. I'll drive the Audi to work if she's using the Corolla for business travel.

I live on 5 acres and am the only home on my road without both a truck and SUV. I hate driving trucks and have always rented one from a Lowes/Menards/Home Depot as needed.

Kinda irked I didn't buy a truck before the new vehicle shortage.
I'm considering the new Nissan Frontier crew cab long bed. I'm very indecisive.
Throw the tow hitches on your cars and make them work. No need for a truck.

47ccfaf4e1217d318b47ab44370c2469--rv-pictures-photos.jpg

JK

Yes. I’ve lost count…

Most have historic/low use insurance and I keep them because I enjoy them.

Between my wife and I we own three. However in all honesty the ONLY reason why we own three vehicles is because where I commute to everyday. My current CPO Rav4 commuter vehicle was involved in two hit and runs while parked and the driver’s side got completely keyed before I made my first payment. It’s more common than not to find our tires and lower body panels to be urinated on or to find cigarette butts/random trash left on the vehicles. And then there is the abuse it takes from driving the pot hole filled streets.

But when it’s snows or I have to travel to not so nice areas I have my beat to **** 2018 Rav which at the thought of it makes me sick because I hate mistreating car. I enjoy driving and maintaining my vehicles. But it’s almost impossible to keep any vehicle nice (maybe a Sherman tank?) where I have to commute to…

Between my wife and I we own three. However in all honesty the ONLY reason why we own three vehicles is because where I commute to everyday. My current CPO Rav4 commuter vehicle was involved in two hit and runs while parked and the driver’s side got completely keyed before I made my first payment. It’s more common than not to find our tires and lower body panels to be urinated on or to find cigarette butts/random trash left on the vehicles. And then there is the abuse it takes from driving the pot hole filled streets.

But when it’s snows or I have to travel to not so nice areas I have my beat to **** 2018 Rav which at the thought of it makes me sick because I hate mistreating car. I enjoy driving and maintaining my vehicles. But it’s almost impossible to keep any vehicle nice (maybe a Sherman tank?) where I have to commute to…
Where there is a wheel, there is a way. Where there is a problem, there is a solution. Have you been introduced to BattleCars? Cheaper and funner than a Sherman tank for sure.

Yes. The Jeep is a toy and only gets about 3000 miles per year. It’s also been used as a backup when my kids had car trouble, or I had to wait for parts. Thankfully that has only been in the summer.

My DD is a sedan, as I am old enough to know that gas prices ebb and flow, and I don’t need a truck. My minivan can haul what I need. We will probably always have a minivan.

The Mustang convertible is a 2018 with 13,000 miles on it. It's a waste, imo, but it wasn't my decision. I guess it isn't about 'need' when you are. D.I.N.K. family.

Yes, I do.
As I explained to my wife, I don't chase other women, I don't smoke or drink. I don't have expensive gone every weekend hobbies.
However, my vehicles are my thing.
She drives the Pilot. It is the "Family" road trip vehicle.
The Accord is my old work car that I kept after retiring because it gets good gas mileage (Right now, I'm glad I did.)
The Ranger is my "Menardsmobile," I use it for hauling stuff, and besides, every time that I got rid of a pickup, Mrs. Tdbo moaned about how such and such a task would be easier if we had have kept the pickup we had before. Besides I like driving it, and it costs $89./year to insure, full coverage. It's not leaving the fleet, barring a devastating event.
The Mustang is my play car. Mrs. Tdbo knows that isn't going anywhere. She likes it. She just hates to admit it.
These vehicles do not cost a great deal to maintain, and through shopping my insurance options, I have been able to insure them cheaply.
I don't have a ton of money tied up in them; however, all are good, serviceable well cared for cars that have life left in them. I purchased all of them new, with the exception of the Ranger that I picked up used when it was 5 years old with 56K on it.
However, on occasion when Mrs. Tdbo wishes to pick a fight about something; I get thrown in my face about two people having four vehicles.
The last time we had this argument, I told her that I was just trying to keep up with her folks.
Her response was "Huh?" It didn't occur to her that between her Mom and Dad, they own six vehicles.
That shut that down quickly and effectively.

My wife and I each have a car as we both drive and at times need to do different things at the same time.

Do you own more vehicles than you really use/need? Do you collect them? Sentimental reasons? Occasional utility use?

How many do you have?
I would ideally have one more. I sold my winter beater 83 Caprice in exchange for some body work on my 2005 Silverado. Now in the winter, even just to go to the grocery store I have to drive my Silverado that's at max gvwr with all my work gear in it. My "economy car" is waiting for the salt to be off the roads then I can drive it whenever I don't need the truck. Much cheaper on fuel and cheaper for a lot of parts.

Attachments

• IMG_20220320_100535.jpg
    IMG_20220320_100535.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 21
Yes, three vehicles. Two Explorers and a Ranger. Considering parting with the Ranger as it is the most worn out and isn't driven much anymore.

My 1994 Explorer 2 door Eddie Bauer 4x4 is my "collector car." I was not actively shopping when I bought it, but will always consider a square body Explorer. A friend sent me the link to it on Facebook Marketplace, and I had to have it. It has rare options, and I'm sure very few 2 door Eddie Bauers are left. It's also in excellent condition, but I don't want to use it up and put a ton of miles on it since I basically plan on keeping it forever, so it's usually just driven on weekends for fun/errands. It can daily when needed no problem, but I don't really want to commute in it and risk it getting wrecked or just worn out from use. If I could only have one vehicle, this would be it, but since I can have more I try not to rack up the miles on this one, while still using it enough that it doesn't degrade from sitting.

My daily driver is my 1997 Explorer XLT 4 door 2WD. I bought it in kind of neglected, but not ragged out condition in October 2020 after my 1994 4-door Explorer XLT was wrecked. It was not really what I wanted, but there was just nothing available at the time. I really did not want a SOHC most of all, but it ran and drove, had matching original wheels and floor mats, two original keys and remotes, no rips in the seats, etc for $1500. I put a fair amount of work into it including ball joints, water pump, and tires, but expected that. I've put about 17k on it and it's doing great. It's a really good driving and versatile vehicle. It's not big, but it's surprising what will fit in the back with the seats folded. I've hauled more furniture and TVs with this thing than the Ranger since I've had it. It also admittedly handles a lot better or at least more car-like than the 1994. Part of the reason I put the 1994 on a pedestal is the Twin Traction Beam front end with an old style steering box, but the 1997 has rack and pinion steering and regular IFS and handles like a regular modern car, and that's nice for most of my driving. It also has an incredibly comfortable interior. I will keep it until it has some major issue that makes it not worth it, which would probably be timing chains. I probably would have the transmission rebuilt or replaced if that went out, but not so sure on an engine. Thankfully, my SOHC runs great.

I've had the Ranger since 2008 and have almost always had a pickup or two. It's pretty beat up though and I don't drive it much anymore. It actually drives good except for one issue I haven't figured out yet. When cold, it will intermittently lose power, while also making a chirping noise. It goes away once warmed up. It's definitely cam synchro related, but I've already tried replacing it. It fixed it for a week, but then did the exact same thing. I'm hoping it was a bad part, but haven't had time to replace it again. I'm worried it may be an issue with the cam itself. The truck has 256k miles and hasn't had the easiest life, so it doesn't owe me anything. At least three people have expressed interest in buying it, but I'm not quite ready to part with it yet.

Too many-but the truck & vans MAKE money, and my stuff is all old enough to have liability only (& a HEALTHY dose of uninsured motorist property damage, $15K each), and only the xB gets driven every day (and the company's Transit, of course). If I sold every vehicle I owned, it wouldn't be enough to buy a new junk Hyundai or Kia these days, so the old stuff stays!

Yes. The '96 Cherokee is sentimental, it mostly sits in the garage. I do take it out on offroad trails from time to time though. I'll never sell it.

The '00 Camry I retired from daily driver status 5 years ago, but have started driving it more this past week or so. I keep it because after an accident 6 years ago it isn't worth much, so why sell it?

The '14 Grand Cherokee for now isn't getting a lot of miles. I'm doing mostly short trips in it. Not just gas prices but to keep the miles down. It isn't a Toyota after all.

You could say that...
5 cars plus 2 classics, 2 drivers.
Actually, the Tundra kinda doesn't count, as I consider it a tool; the best tool I have. It does everything.
Plus, my cowboy friends tell me, "Ya ain't shi% if ya ain't got a truck". Words to live by...

I don't have too many cars; I don't have enough garage!

Last edited:
Back