Do you own more vehicles than you really need?

2006 Mustang Gt that I bought new now has 28,000km on it. Can't see myself ever selling it.

Retired, wife doesn't drive, so no need for any extra in the garage. Not that I wouldn't love to have a Mustang GT, but too practical to spend the money at my age.

If you ask my significant other, yes.
An empty driveway is a happy driveway. 🙄
But as I echo another poster, I don't drink/smoke, etc or have other hobbies, or other ladies.
To have an extra car that I enjoy (she HATES it) that has a specific use, then no, I don't.

Yes. While I don't need to justify it, my vehicles all serve different purposes. Several are "tools." Several are fun. Several serve to make me a better mechanic, learning, education, etc. wrenching on them. There's a lot of overlap. I also view them all as a hedge against inflation, the coming EV craze and all that comes with it (nanny-state big brother technology, etc.). I am continually adding more ICE to my herd of vehicles as well, on the hunt learning about the "best" vehicles of 20 years ago, and buying them when I can find a good example at a low price.

The cost of maintaining is relatively low, especially if you can put them on storage insurance which is cheap. For the price of buying/insuring a single brand new $60,000 car, you could buy many $5000-$10,000 vehicles giving you a lot more versatility. Not stranded by a dead battery, breakdown, flat tire, etc. if you have another vehicle to use.

My wife and I each have a car as we both drive and at times need to do different things at the same time.

Do you own more vehicles than you really use/need? Do you collect them? Sentimental reasons? Occasional utility use?

How many do you have?
We have 3 cars and 4 motorcycles.
Why does anyone care how many vehicles we have in our garage, and our reasons for having as many as we do?

We love them, and if we didn't, we wouldn't have them.

We've got 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 fish tanks too.
No one creates a post asking about fish tanks...

Not really. 2 drivers, 4 cars. But we have one teen who is almost ready to go for a license, with another one who could be going for a license in 12-18 months also. Wife needs a car, I need a car--and we often need a car at the same time, so that's two right there. I tend to drive older cars so I need a backup. Put it altogether and while it might be "too many" right at this moment, it is the right number in a year or two.

I would say probably but in a way I feel vehicles are kind of like tools you always need an extra one for when one fails. We have 8 there is three of us in the home. Had thought of giving one to my sister and her family but brother in law insists you should not change the oil after 200,000 as there is no point in spending money on them so we aren’t giving them one. The 1994 Ford Van is sentimental to me as it’s the only one still left that was around when I was born. My dad has already said all the vehicles will be mine especially the van and Jeep. I purchased three of the 8 vehicles however they aren’t in my name as I don’t have my own insurance policy. The three I purchased were both Mazda trucks and the beetle. The Beetle is something I’ll cherish forever as it was my dream car that I was able to get. The Van is sentimental for the reason I gave. The Jeep has been sitting since 2014 it overheats after you cut it off. We are going to put a new engine in it. The Van has not been a regular driver in about 10 years and been off the road completely since 2019 when it’s idle issue began it’s so loud and so high idle that we are scared to drive it. The beetle hasn’t run since 2019 when I bought it. The 1990 Mazda hasn’t ran since last March when I bought it. So half run and half don’t. I am just too attached to even think of getting rid of one. We are out of space too.

Personally I want another vehicle to save on gas from my Escape and I was informed I would have to trade my Escape in if I wanted something else because we own too many vehicles which I can’t do I’m just too attached as I am with all of our vehicles. I had planned on buying something like a Subaru Crosstrek or Mitsubishi Mirage G4 or Outlander Sport or another Ford like a Crown Vic or something. Which I got a big no on the G4 as it lacks safety features but if it’s my money paying for it I’ll get what I want.

We have 3 cars and 4 motorcycles.
Why does anyone care how many vehicles we have in our garage, and our reasons for having as many as we do?

We love them, and if we didn't, we wouldn't have them.

We've got 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 3 fish tanks too.
No one creates a post asking about fish tanks...
Feel free to start one on animals or fish!....:)

Yes.

Wife has a 2018 Hyundai Santa Fe.

Daughter has a 2012 Scion xB

I have a 2002 F150, 2001 Honda Nighthawk and a 1994 Goldwing.

I also have a 2004 Hyundai Sonata that will be my son's when he gets his license (he is doing drivers ed now, should be done in a few months).
I bought that from my nephew, just too good a deal to pass with the crazy car prices now days.

If I had a bigger garage, I would probably have a few more bikes.

I could sell all "my" vehicles (truck and both motorcycles) since my wife does not work and she could bring me to and pick me up from work, but where is the fun in that.

Yes, we definitely do. My wife gave me a hard time about it when we first got together, but now she's good with it lol. They each have their purpose!

2019 Jeep Cherokee 3.2 - wife's daily driver
2017 Subaru Impreza 2.0i Sport - my daily driver, just got 2 weeks ago - my first Subaru
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 3.6 - was my daily driver, but 13mpg driving 60 miles a day gets expensive lol.
2015 Chevy Silverado 5.3 - mainly used to toe our camper
2011 Jeep Patriot 2.4 - The dogs SUV, she gets owns everything behind the front seats. Formerly my wife's daily driver.
1974 Chevy Nova - Parents bought brand new, I've owned it for 36 years

2012 Harley Dyna Switchback 103 - my bike
2010 Harley 1200 Sportster forty-eight - wife's bike

My wife drives the 2006 Avalon, loves the car. I occasionally drive the 2011 Accord I bought because we thought the 1994 Camry had a head gasket problem. Turned out to be the water pump housing was cracked, even fooled the mechanic. Just turned 304,000 miles, rusty but frame still solid.

No, my wife has her 2016 Jeep, and she does home care so needs a good vehicle. I have my 2009 Pontiac G5 that I commute 75 miles a day with plus other driving.
When my wife got the Jeep, we still had our 2010 Kia Soul that she had been driving. I thought about keeping it as a spare vehicle, but it was going to start needing repairs, so spending for repairs for it and an older vehicle I was already using didn’t seem to make sense. I unloaded it as-is fairly easily for $750; which is low, but it needed a lot of work to actually certify it. Seemed better than having it sit and start to degrade a lot.

Nope, we are constrained by driveway space, which only comfortably fits two vehicles, three if one was smaller than the truck. We do have a garage, but it's more of a carriage house (given the age of the home) and so it has lawn stuff and my son's quad in it at the moment.

There was a period when we had three vehicles. The M5 was in the garage at the time, where it would stay parked for the winter. I consolidated with a performance SUV I could drive year-round.

Just my wife and I. We have 2 vehicles, an Audi A4 quattro and a Corolla Hybrid. I'll drive the Audi to work if she's using the Corolla for business travel.

Kinda irked I didn't buy a truck before the new vehicle shortage.
I'm considering the new Nissan Frontier crew cab long bed. I'm very indecisive.
Today I saw a 2 wheel drive Tacoma at the Home Depot. Rare, cuz it was a 4 cyl with five speed manual, nice dark peppery-grey, longish box, extended cab. This was a pretty new vehicle, you know... the one with the cartoonishly small steel wheels. I know... they look funny, undersized...Well, I wish I had bought one while they were still available in that "poor-boy" configuration. They last forever, simple, stupid, and could serve a homeowner's needs for a long, long time, getting pretty good gas mileage all the while.

🙁

I'll admit I have more vehicles than I need. I have 4 campers, 2 VW camper vans and a Roadtrek and a Coach House 27' Camper. I also have 2 trucks and a Mazda 5 and a VW Beetle and a VW Cabriolet. Antique car insurance is on 3 of these. Hartford is on 4 and SF has the other 2. I tell myself to get rid of some but they are all important to me and when I drive those old VW's I can't get the smile off my face. All my vehicles are maintained by me and they are all insured and ready to go.

Back