Do you lube the back of your brake pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Would it make more sense to put the paste on the caliper and piston mating surfaces instead of the entire back of the pads?

Paste is cheap....

It's sometimes what I do anyway on the 'outer' caliper tabs or whatever they're called. On the outer, there's only contact by (2) tabs with maybe a total of 1 square inch of contact area.

Permatex® Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant between pad and shim and between shim and caliper piston and on the ears and under the abutment clips for noise suppression.

I only lube the slide pins and the pad ears. Maybe I am a lucky guy but I have never had noisy brakes that was lube related. I have never done it but I would bet that if you removed a caliper from a brand new car there is no lube used on anything but the slide pins.

Don

No.

I slathered on some Sta-Lube brake grease and it squealed. Luckily that stuff washes off quickly (which is why I'm not using it any more). So now they go on dry.

I did notice on my truck that the pads had some nice lube on them, and it doesn't squeal. Maybe high moly lube doesn't, or it is a lark. Dunno. But dry has always worked for me over 10+ changes. So that's what I do. I'd rather install dry and risk a squeal that can be fixed with a bit of lube than go the other way 'round.

My Camaro developed a squeal at around 30,000 miles, pads were still very good and not glazed. Put some CRC orange goop where the calipers meets the pads. No change. Trading it in solved the problem. :)

No. Not with ceramic brake pads. They squeak at a pitch only recognizable to dogs LOL. And I don't slather any grease whatsoever. I use silicone paste or sylglyde. Slathering grease is a recipe for "warped rotors". Or what so many think slick spots on the rotor surface are. Ultimately where the grease ends up. Between the pads and the rotor. I don't lube the ears on the slides anymore either. Doing so causes soot and dirt to quickly build up on the slide which jams the pads, preventing them from moving away from the rotor surface like they should prematurely wearing out and creating heat. I've also had the regular Grease get hot, lose moisture and harden, freezing the caliper pins as if the caliper had failed. No such issues using silicone paste or sylglyde

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back