Do you like sausages? Polish variants perhaps?

It's called kabanosy.

For those of you in NJ area, Piast in Garfield has good selection of Polish goods. They have hot food for take out as well. I mail order from them once in a while around holidays since there are no Polish delis where I live.

Wallington was always full of Polish folks. Garfield isn’t far away.

Last edited:
Got to Barth’s in New Providence.

IMG_8394.jpeg

Got my favorite Kabonosy.

And lots of other sausages.

IMG_8396.jpeg

I always pick up a sauerbraten for when we’re too lazy to DIY. Which is usually :)

IMG_8399.jpeg

I'm limiting my cured meat product intake to once a week. Eating my way through all the sausage offerings at my local Polish market will take a while. I haven't had a sausage in three weeks now! I'm having withdrawls, I think.

Could it be a regional or different language spelling? I see it with the o on a bunch of sites…
To be honest, I have never seen it spelled that way.

The name comes from the word kaban, an old obsolete term used in eastern parts of Poland for a young male pig fattened with potatoes specially for making this kind of sausage (hence kabanos - "made of kaban"). The word kaban with a similar meaning is also present in other neighbouring languages; it was initially loaned from Turkic languages where it denotes a boar.

My area was settled by Czech and German folks - and locally made sausages are just plain better than the “bubble gum” stuffed sausage in the big stores … (no actual meat texture/color) …

Back