Do you leave your battery charger continually connected whenever your vehicle is at rest?

After reading a little bit about batteries, I've come to the understanding that batteries last the longest when they're fully charged, either by the alternator or a battery charger of some type.

I don't do a lot of driving and my Wife does even less.

I have a PulseTech XC100-P Xtreme Charge (which seems to have been discontinued - https://bit.ly/3XzcLTy) and a new Noco Genius 1.

To get the most life out of our batteries, should I just leave both chargers connected to our vehicles so they maintain the full change when not being driven? Is that the smart thing to do?

Thank you,
Ed

After reading a little bit about batteries, I've come to the understanding that batteries last the longest when they're fully charged, either by the alternator or a battery charger of some type.

I don't do a lot of driving and my Wife does even less.

I have a PulseTech XC100-P Xtreme Charge (which seems to have been discontinued - https://bit.ly/3XzcLTy) and a new Noco Genius 1.

To get the most life out of our batteries, should I just leave both chargers connected to our vehicles so they maintain the full change when not being driven? Is that the smart thing to do?

Thank you,
Ed
I have the same PulseTech too. It keeps pulsing even when the battery is topped off. I have not checked if there is a fulltime trickle charge or not. I use it on my car,boat batteries and leave it on each battery a month and rotate it for the the 2 boat battery's. For may car I will use it in early spring and late fall for my small racing battery over the weekend from time to time. Summer is not an issue. Test it with a volt meter to see if there is a trickle.

I leave my Schumacher 1.5 amp plugged into my Harley for weeks/months on end. It always starts easy and the agm batteries seem to last between 5 to 7 years. My wife retired 2 weeks ago and I’m considering putting her Lexus ES 350 on a Schumacher 1.5 amp charger as well, but with all the electronics on her car, I’m a little hesitant to do it.

I don't use a charger on our cars battery, unless it needs to be charged. But I do use a battery tender on my motorcycle battery, any time it's in the garage. I ride thru the winter, and I've gotten 6 years out of a battery by doing that. Nothing stinks more than getting ready to go for a ride, and the battery dead is as a door nail.,,,

It depends on where the battery is, what it’s connected to. My Legacy doesn’t seem to draw down batteries at all, but my Forester has some weird issue where the battery will be dead if the car sits for more than a week or so. I’ve already done a parasitic drain test that passed with flying colors. So, I hook up the Legacy every so often, when I think to. The Forester goes on the charger of it will be sitting for more than a day or isn’t drive much. It doesn’t take much time and it has zero negatives. A full battery takes almost no power to keep full, btw - just a few watts, with occasional bursts higher when it pulses.

For batteries that are disconnected (open-circuited) I top off maybe once a month, if I remember to.

//

A but OT, but I also try to manage the charge on my electronic, as well. Lead may love being fully charged, it stresses other battery chemistries. For li-ion, as an example, 40% SOC and cool temps seems to be ideal, but that‘s not realistic. Time dead or fully charged is what stresses these batteries the most. I try to keep these batteries between 20 and 80%, if I can actually check it.

It depends on how many days the vehicles sit without being driven .
I have a 2019 Toyota Tacoma with 10,500 miles. I drive it probably once per week. My Wife has a 2001 Volvo S-40 with 52,000 miles on which gets driven once every month or two.

Ed

I have a 2019 Toyota Tacoma with 10,500 miles. I drive it probably once per week. My Wife has a 2001 Volvo S-40 with 52,000 miles on which gets driven once every month or two.

Ed
Yea ......... Since you already have two chargers you might as well use them

Ed

This info is crucial and 100% affects the advice given. Hook up the chargers and /thread.

BatteryMinder Plus units currently on 9 batteries. Motorcycles, boat, snowmobiles, mowers, etc. If it's in the garage or seasonal storage, it's hooked up. One of my vehicles may sit in the garage 2-3 weeks without being driven also.
I routinely get 10 yrs out of powersport batteries. My cycle batteries are not small ones either, they are big enough to easily crank up 4 cyl. cars.
My '13 snowmobile still has its OEM battery and starting just fine. It will get replaced this summer for age not performance. I don't want to push a critical battery any longer.

Only my motorcycle battery, all Winter. I use a smart charger that was actually designed for gell batteries but does well with AGM's.

I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 wall mounted beside my parking spot in the garage. My vehicle is connected "often". How often "often" is depends on my recent usage pattern and the current weather conditions. My vehicle has an AGM battery and a battery monitoring system whose target is 80% SoC. Plugging in keeps it fully topped up and the CTEK has AGM modes and (I believe) ambient temp compensation.

Back