How to determine when to replace battery that has always been charged / maintained?

I don't think it's sold any more, but I use a PulseTech 12V Xtreme Charge Battery Charger XC100-P (https://www.pulsetech.net/eblast_02082021) to maintain my battery. I usually attach this charger once a week to keep the battery fully charged. At that time, I also check and add any distilled water, if needed.

Since I always keep the battery fully charged, how does one know when the battery is near (or at) the end of its life and should be replaced?

My battery is the original battery that came with my 2019 Toyota Tacoma.

Thank you,
Ed

well charged either by a lot of longer trips or a quality charger can make a long life for a battery, 10 years on a OE battery in a friends ford pickup + well kept flooded batteries can be better in very hot + dry climates that evaporate fluids even from sealed batteries!!

Reactively, replace when it fails.
Proactively, you can always do load test on it every so often like before winter but you are in CA so that is a moot point.
In CA when temperature fluctuation is not that much, the batteries tend to last longer compare to TX or NV.

You can buy a simple battery tester for about $50 that directionally gives an indication of its condition but even keeping track of its voltage after sitting a few days helps give an indication. Once you find it won’t stay able 12 v you should start shopping. There are several threads “ tracking an aging battery” is one.

You can buy a simple battery tester for about $50 that directionally gives an indication of its condition but even keeping track of its voltage after sitting a few days helps give an indication. Once you find it won’t stay able 12 v you should start shopping. There are several threads “ tracking an aging battery” is one.
I'll look up that thread...thank you!

Ed

If it does not suddenly fail catastrophically which a new battery can do also, I start to notice slow starts if the car has sat for more than a couple days or the dome light just seems dimmer when I get in. My last OEM battery lasted 9 years. If I noticed a slow crank I would put the charger on it but near the end it would start the slow crank just a day or 2 after the charge so I replaced it. I also started carrying one of those small jump start packs just in case but so far I have only used it on other peoples cars.

I don't know if it's very easy to detect when a battery is near it's end of life. There's been a few discussions here lately where batteries seemed to be fine one day and the next day it died with no "slow crank" or any other indication it was about to fail. Personally, I replace the battery when any type of hard starting issue pops up. But, not until then.

I suppose replacement strategy depends on a few things. Your tolerance for replacing the battery if it fails while you are on the road and your economic situation being the primary concerns for me.
1. I carry jumper cables in my cars and I suppose Karma has been kind to me. I've helped many stranded motorists with dead batteries or putting on a spare tire. In turn, the few times I've needed a jump start it's always been quick and easy to find someone to give me a jump. I've luckily never had a shorted battery that couldn't be jumped.

2. I'm now able to afford to put a new battery in my car at some regular interval if I choose. But, I'm frugal. I've had several batteries, mostly the OEM, last for 7 years, so I'm not about to replace a battery at 3 years if there's a possibility it might last 4 more years.

It sounds like you're taking good care of your battery. If you're going to replace on an interval I would shoot for 5 years.

My battery is the original battery that came with my 2019 Toyota Tacoma.
I took care to keep the battery in my Matrix full, and I replaced it at 9 y.o.
Still working okay, but I didn't trust it for a 10th winter.
If I were in a hot climate I'd be more concerned about sudden death.

Do the same with my Tucson battery. Now 5 y.o.
Took it in for a recall recently and dealer claim it's 350 CCA out of 600 spec.
Last year they rated it 575 CCA.
That and other recommended services came to $740. Declined.
I bought an old school load tester. Battery tested fine.

Last edited:
When the battery won't crank the engine or your confidence level is not there anymore.

The original Volvo battery in the 2007 I bought was replaced at 6 years and 41K mi. I bought it 4 years later; 29K mi. through it's 29K mi. life. That battery -the car's second- was replaced before I test drove it; COD: cold morning in Virginia. In went a new, white Volvo battery.
I believe Varta makes them over in Europe. The vehicle was built in Belgium. I never inspected either battery #2 or #3.

The battery changing party could be this Autumn; matching the original's 6 years.
However, I've put 60K and my charger on this battery over 5.5 years. The increase in usage and my care will be rewarded.

Autumn 2025 minimum.

Last edited:
Back