Do you have special assessments?

Special assessments, or specials, on property seem to be common at least in the upper Midwest, but I had not heard of them living out east in PA or in CO. Are these common elsewhere in the US? To clarify, I'm not referring to HOA specials but rather those imposed by municipalities.

I think so… for NH that is. When I was house shopping a few years ago, I think one of the towns had a variable tax rate, depending on if you were on town water or not (not sure if they had town sewer, probably did).

Often talk about a view tax, if close to a lake. I don’t think it is a real thing, just an observation—desirable properties have higher value and thus tax to go with it.

I have a copy of my last property tax bill in front of me. 17 different special taxes and assessment. That's on top of several ad valorem taxes for things like schools. It's well known that standard ad valorem taxes in California are capped at 1% of assessed value, but there are some ad valorem taxes to pay down bonds. For me it's around 0.2%. But it's not like Texas or Florida where I've heard instead of one limited main ad valorem tax, there can be several.

They are used in my part of Kansas. The special assessments involve the costs to construct the water, sanitary sewer, storm water sewer, mass grading and streets in sub-divisions. I believe the idea is that money required to do this work comes from city issued bonds and interest incurred is typically lower than interest on a home loan. In the past I believe your specials were paid off in ten years. I believe it is longer now.

I have 2 acres, 1 of those acres is taxed at a higher rate than the other as “excess residential acreage.” Recycling is also part of our taxes…. I should call them and ask for a can because I refuse to pay for another garbage can.

I have a storm water management fee. I think it is well worth it. It employs people and supplies heavy equipment both which are used only for small and large ditch cleaning through out the area. Also maintenance of retention ponds and dealing with beaver dams blocking water flow.

Here they just raise property taxes. HOA at our coastal home (condo & boat slip) had special assessments for new roof, parking lot repairs, marina dredging, and new pickle ball court. Glad we sold the condo and boat slip. Assessments were never ending.

They are used in my part of Kansas. The special assessments involve the costs to construct the water, sanitary sewer, storm water sewer, mass grading and streets in sub-divisions. I believe the idea is that money required to do this work comes from city issued bonds and interest incurred is typically lower than interest on a home loan. In the past I believe your specials were paid off in ten years. I believe it is longer now.
This is exactly how they work in my area...either 15 or 20 year terms. A new construction home will carry about $30K in specials easily.

Something I should've clarified in the OP: these are not included in taxes...they are recorded on the annual tax bill but they are separate charges.

Special assessments, or specials, on property seem to be common at least in the upper Midwest, but I had not heard of them living out east in PA or in CO. Are these common elsewhere in the US? To clarify, I'm not referring to HOA specials but rather those imposed by municipalities.
I honestly don't remember. In my county (Cobb, GA) temporary increase in sales tax is seems to be used more often than a special property tax assessment.

Here in lowcountry SC we have about a dozen - anything from the senior citizens center to the library to money for the votec school and community college that aren't even in our county. They add up to maybe $100 a year I think.

The idea as I understand it is they end when something is paid off or some agreement is over - so they don't become part of the baseline tax collection and never end. But they forever add things so whats the difference 🤷‍♂️

Back