Do you guys do anything to prepare your vehicle for winter?

I started coating the exterior with sealants for the last 2 years. Makes it a little easier to remove the thin ice.

DIY Fluid Film Users,
What kind of prepping is involved before the Fluid Film application, other than just washing the undercarriage thoroughly?

And does anyone use stuff like Salt-Away to wash off the salt?
In my experience, just washing doesn't cut it and I don't want to wash using a mitt or something and end up scratching up the paint.

Depends on how many CCA your battery still outputs. I have a tester that tests CCA and Voltage. I check the resting voltage and CCA after the car has sat overnight. If both factors aren't good, I replace.
I had to put in a new battery this past August, replacing the original, which had almost 5 years on it. Nowadays batteries don't give you any real warning, at least not the ones in Buicks; I had the same "click-click-click" surprise one morning with the Regal. The next time I buy a 3 or 4-year-old car, the first thing I'll have done is a battery test.

I actually ordered those space blankets that look like foil. I've seen too many cars stranded in heavy snow on the expressway out east in long island.

I'm also wondering about prepping involved before applying Fluid Film. This will be my first time using the stuff.
Any spots that I should avoid spraying?

Put winter tires on or brakes if needed so I'm not in the unheated garage trying to work on the car. Nothing else :)

Not really...

I've been trying to apply Fluid Film in late Aug or early Sept, this year it was late Sept. Not exactly during winter... I try to apply while warm, just makes the job easier.

Winter tires, I usually hold off as long as I can. My cars run RT43's and quite frankly, it's not like I drive on racing slicks when not in winter--first snow usually isn't anything to worry about. So snows might go on as early as Thanksgiving or as late as January--I might try to time when a tire rotation is due. Usually I will try to take apart the brakes at the same time and lube stuff up.

Oil changes are when due, I have nothing against spring/fall OCI guys but I just do tire rotation and oil change whenever it's due, on a mileage basis. YMMV.

I only buy winter washer fluid so it's always in the tank. I try to keep a HF moving blanket in each vehicle, but that's a year round thing, just never know when it might be needed (had a kid barf in the backseat the other day, found a new use for it!). We all have cell phones, usually not too far from service or houses, and try to dress for the weather.

This year I haven't a clue though. WFH and with the kids having deal with remote learning, there really becomes no good reason to venture out during a storm for us. I'm not even sure if the kids will have any snow days this year, since the school system set everything up so as to go remote learning at the drop of a hat. I'll rotate on some 5 or 6 year old snows onto my truck and that'll probably be it (outside of FF touchups).

Fluid film. I like to use 4-5 cans a vehicle. I use the spray can extension hose. Shoot it into any holes I can find in the frame or rockers. Go crazy with it! I don't actually spray it on the surfaces of things, as I feel it will get washed off or rubbed off. I like it for places I can't wash and places it'll just creep and soak for months. I touchup any surface rust with just paint where I see it.
Also put the ski racks on the Jeeps.

I started coating the exterior with sealants for the last 2 years. Makes it a little easier to remove the thin ice.

DIY Fluid Film Users,
What kind of prepping is involved before the Fluid Film application, other than just washing the undercarriage thoroughly?

In my experience, just washing doesn't cut it and I don't want to wash using a mitt or something and end up scratching up the paint.
No prepping really. Just make sure it's clean and do it somewhere where you don't mind drips. Wear junky clothes.

I'm also wondering about prepping involved before applying Fluid Film. This will be my first time using the stuff.
Any spots that I should avoid spraying?
Exhaust and brakes. I don't think it it has an impact on rubber but whatever is underneath should be ok. Haven't had a problem (yet!) with spraying willy-nilly on my vehicles.

I did buy a 5 gallon bucket and the sprayer. The spraycans are easy to use, well the last bit in the can requires it to be completely vertical, but it's a lighter formula and will wash off faster. The stuff in a gallon can (or pail) is thicker and washes off more slowly.

I've got a set of winter tires for the wifes SUV. When the snow is imminent, I'll put them on.

I'll drive either the other SUV, or the truck. They have 3PMSF rated tires, and will do okay in most conditions.

Exhaust and brakes. I don't think it it has an impact on rubber but whatever is underneath should be ok. Haven't had a problem (yet!) with spraying willy-nilly on my vehicles.

I did buy a 5 gallon bucket and the sprayer. The spraycans are easy to use, well the last bit in the can requires it to be completely vertical, but it's a lighter formula and will wash off faster. The stuff in a gallon can (or pail) is thicker and washes off more slowly.
Good advice! I appreciate the response!

Not really more than what I do periodically anyway. I check my tires and start filling the washer fluid reservoir with winter washer fluid in September so it's less likely to freeze.

Don't really get enough snow to warrant winter tires here.

Toss in the snow scrapers and throw a blanket and some granola bars in the car.

I usually like to do the following:

- Get an oil change in
- Winter tires get put on absolutely
- I take DuPont rubber saver and rub it well into all the weatherstripping and door/sunroof seals. This protects the rubber from getting brittle but also from being frozen shut.
- Charge up my battery to full and apply white lithium grease to the terminals.
- Lube up all doors' locks and hinges with JigALoo
- Swap wiper blades with winter ones.
- Top off my washer fluid with best antifreeze I can get

Anything else is taken care of during my routine maintenance.

I always buy new tires in November (I drive between 30k-50k miles per year)
other than that I have to change the oil so much throughout the year anyway that top off fluids and stuff are always being checked.

in Oct I put a duffel bag with winter gear in the truck (Traction board, shovel, chains, etc) and take it out in March.

sure, it doesn’t matter when I’m in Georgia, but my Montana run can get dicey sometimes So I just keep that crap in because I never know where I’m going.

Fresh oil and filter change
Rotate tires apply anti-seize or grease to back side of rims.. set tire pressure.
Stock up on washer fluid.

I usually fluid film the undercarriage before the salt hits the roads...maybe around early November, late October.
I do the same. I usually do any maintenance like brakes etc before winter sets in as well. Top up battery level clean Terminals, silicone the door seals, check air filter and cabin filter.

Then I get ready to put snow tires on before the first snowfall.

DIY Fluid Film Users,

Before I fluid film the only thing I do is make sure the wheel wells are clean on the lip of them flush them with lots of water and run my hand along them to make sure the sand etc has been rinsed off. Then I just go to town. I also remove the front wheel well liners and really coat the inside of the front wheels. Some times on the caravan I remove the plastic door panels and spray it from the top of the door panel inside just under the window to the bottom. Some of the black latches on the caravan I remove to spray even into those cavities. If you do this the first year or two it gets a nice coating on the inside of the panel and that coating doesn't drip entirely off.

I don't do much as our climate is pretty mild and we don't have salt. In the coldest months I've got a Nissan that takes forever to warm up so it gets a rubber mat installed over a little more than half the radiator.

Back