Do you grease your car hinges?

GM has been recommending their Superlube PTFE product for many years. Here is the 2022 Silverado owners manual. It goes on clear.

71F3BD24-CD30-45E0-9BE7-803D6848B3EF.png

I like the dry spray lube that has teflon in it. Need to apply it several times though, letting the carrier flash off between sprays.

There is also the liquid in small bottles marketed for bicycles.

I also find that silicone lubricant, while wet, attracts far less dirt than traditional lubes. Most of it tends to leave the area but a thin film remains.
Thats what I use. Bicycle chain lube. Goes on a super thin spray but carrier evaporates, leaving a light grease. Works better than greases, oil etc as it really gets into the joint. Castrol chain lube has moly

Thats what I use. Bicycle chain lube. Goes on a super thin spray but carrier evaporates, leaving a light grease. Works better than greases, oil etc as it really gets into the joint. Castrol chain lube has moly
I used to use Silkolene on my bicycles and four wheeler. A good chain lube is wonderful stuff, engineered very well.

Free-All oil spray with wipe off then Ford PTFE Teflon grease brushed on hinges. wipe all rubber seals with melted coconut oil to keep from sticking in winter. It works well

I use Schaeffer Chain lube because that's what I usually have handy. Works and doesn't attract dust. 227 is the number. It is black though so overspray does show up if you don't wipe it off.

I usually spray white lithium grease on mine once or twice a year...keeps the noises away.
Me too, only if I hear a noise--there is often a slider arm as well.

Oddly on one of my cars, I discovered through a forum search that the outermost door seals cause a creaking sound, and silicone lubricant makes it go away, until the next time. I guess the cd is .27 for a reason, there's so much tension on the seals against the body. If the windows are cracked or down, 1/2 the sound goes away.

I'm old school, I apply used Gear Oil on the hinges by using Spring Bottom Oil Can

f045e700-c20c-49fe-a7bb-bef664520d2e.63596dfd9f0f6d875e696f415bd36dda.jpeg
Same, except I use new oil. My lawnmower doesn't use an even amount of oil, so I always have an ounce or so remaining to put in my oiler. And since my Jeep's owner's manual specifically calls for PCMO on the hinges, that's what I use.

I noticed that on many new cars the door hinges & hood hinges don't have any grease on them. Do you apply grease to these or do you think they are fine without it? I would think the best thing is to apply some grease, don't know why there isn't any from the factory. thanks
Fluid Film creeps in slowly & stays a long time.

The manufacture may us a dry Teflon spray to prevent dust and stains due to dirt being attracted to grease and oil. When my car was serviced under warranty the dealer used Teflon spray.

Ive been spraying my door hinges every spring on the ram with a 29 year old can of mobil 1 synthetic spray lube. It allows for a full year of opening doors without any squeeking. Every other spray i tried only lasted a few weeks or a few months at a time.

Anyone got a can of mobil 1 synthetic spray lube a feller can buy off a guy? This stuffs the bomb

I’ve started using corrosion x in most hinges, other than the MB ones that have a grease fitting…

Back