Do you grease your car hinges?

I noticed that on many new cars the door hinges & hood hinges don't have any grease on them. Do you apply grease to these or do you think they are fine without it? I would think the best thing is to apply some grease, don't know why there isn't any from the factory. thanks

I have oiled them, on occasion. I'm pretty sure I've never greased one.

I've seen hinges on doors used in industrial buildings, though, that have grease fittings. The grease gou would probably be appropriate on those.

I use WD40 on customers doors if the hinges are noisy and if the driver is nice.
It really makes them happy when I close the door and they hear nothing.
A shot on the hood latch mechanisms helps a lot if the hood won't latch properly (Honda's are notorious).

My old Sierra I have to hit once a year to keep them happy. I haven't had to do anything to my Lucerne in the four years I've owned it.

I don't use grease, I have some old Browning gun spray I have on my truck doors, seems to work pretty good.

HHK-S every oil change, or silicone for the one car, Elise, w/ some type of plastic hinge bushing. Couple of the cars in the fleet have holes or notches at the pivot points for lubrication.

I noticed that on many new cars the door hinges & hood hinges don't have any grease on them. Do you apply grease to these or do you think they are fine without it? I would think the best thing is to apply some grease, don't know why there isn't any from the factory. thanks
White lithium grease

If the "engineers" ever had the light bulb go off, to put Zirk fittings on car door hinges, I would grease them. But until they think of it, (I'm not holding my breath), I'll have to be content to spray whatever lube on them.

Then watch as the giant dirt spot forms all around the interior of the door hinge, from all of the dust and dirt that sticks to the over spray.

I have a long nose old fashioned oil can with the click bottom. I hit the hinges about every 3rd oil change with the oil in it which is the dregs from 5 qt jugs. Works for me. An old mechanic from Jersey taught me to do that.

Coincidentally, I did mine yesterday. I used to use lithium spray grease, but have gone back to just using a drop or two of oil.

Back