Do you drink filtered water

Yes. I have spent 40 years in the water treatment industry and I only use the one that has all of the critical certifications.
I have also cut and disassembled one to verify manufacturing integrity.
Would you mind expanding on what your thoughts are for what folks should stay away from & which critical certifications you think are important?
How deep do you consider a deep well to be?

I used to buy bottled water but now I just use my fridge filtered water. Easier and cheaper than going to the store and trying to navigate a cart past people.
The filter for my GE refrig (GE filter, not aftermarket) is $45 or $50.

Wife thinks we need to change the filter the second the red filter change light comes on. I would guess the filter change light is time driven not gallons used. So it's an average. By the time the refrig dies I may have spent more on filters than the refrig.

Maybe like the BITOG motto, one filter change every two clicks of the red filter light.

• Wow
Reactions: Pew

Wife thinks we need to change the filter the second the red filter change light comes on. I would guess the filter change light is time driven not gallons used. So it's an average. By the time the refrig dies I may have spent more on filters than the refrig.

Maybe like the BITOG motto, one filter change every two clicks of the red filter light.

Ouch that's expensive! I buy a 3rd party filter for my old whirlpool fridge that's 3 for $25 and is set for every 6 months. At $50/filter, I'd probably skip every other too!

What exactly is in that fridge filter? How many microns? How much media?
Does it have carbon? What kind ? How is the expiration time calculated?

Part of the reason I like a point of entry system is that I control the filters/media and know what I'm filtering out and or placing into the stream in the way of carbon or other dedicated media.

I feel safe extending my fridge filter 2x because I've already filtered and carbon washed in front of it.

Having a string filter on the front end lets you see dirt loading externally and inspect depth of element penetration when you remove it. This gives you a guide as to how much life was left or not allowing you to determine time in place based on your own use patterns.

Last edited:
Would you mind expanding on what your thoughts are for what folks should stay away from & which critical certifications you think are important?
How deep do you consider a deep well to be?
I would stay away from bottled water in plastic containers. Chemicals do leach out of the plastic.
Glass containers are great.
We drink our filtered water out of glasses or on the go out of stainless steel lined drinking containers.

Reverse osmosis units produce the purest water. If you have much iron in the water it should be removed before the RO unit.

As far as refrigerator filters go you should get one that is NSF certified (independently) to meet the requirements of what you see in the pic below.

As far as well depth a deep well is somewhat subjective to the area and aquifer.
In my area I consider a well to be deep at around 350 feet. Zee09 posted his at 700' which I consider very deep.
Some areas have a high aquifer and deep could be considered 100'.

IMG_0564.jpg

What exactly is in that fridge filter? How many microns? How much media?
Does it have carbon? What kind ? How is the expiration time calculated?

Part of the reason I like a point of entry system is that I control the filters/media and know what I'm filtering out and or placing into the stream in the way of carbon or other dedicated media.

I feel safe extending my fridge filter 2x because I've already filtered and carbon washed in front of it.

Having a string filter on the front end lets you see dirt loading externally and inspect depth of element penetration when you remove it. This gives you a guide as to how much life was left or not allowing you to determine time in place based on your own use patterns.
I think the refrig filter has media and carbon. You cannot get chlorine out without something like carbon or reverse osmosis.

My new home 28 y.o. ago had terrible tasting water when I moved in. I have used a Pur water pitcher since then. A little over $20 a year. I also have one upstairs for night time sips. Recently I let the filter go too long, it told me with a dirty, muddy water taste.

RO system here for twenty something years. Before that, purchased RO water from a water store. The tap water may be safe, but it doesn't taste or smell too awesome. Having purified water conveniently on hand meant my kids grew up drinking (and liking) mostly water. Over the years in this city the TDS has risen from 110 ppm to 220 ppm. The post RO water is 5-6 ppm. As I said, I don't necessarily question the safety of the tap water here. It's just not super appealing for drinking.

I think the refrig filter has media and carbon. You cannot get chlorine out without something like carbon or reverse osmosis.
I wonder if its granules in a mesh bag or a little chunk either way its carbon thats doing the heavy lifting there.

At home no, we’re on a well and I may or may not have accidentally hooked the fridge in before the whole house filter and softener. Amazing water with no smell, but tons of iron.

At work yes, tastes like pool water though.

You all have not seen the recent media reports of nano plastics in bottled water??

"Researchers from Columbia University and Rutgers University found roughly 240,000 detectable plastic fragments in a typical liter of bottled water. The study was published Monday in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
About 10% of the detected plastic particles were microplastics, and the other 90% were nanoplastics. Microplastics are between 5 millimeters to 1 micrometer; nanoplastics are particles less than 1 micrometer in size. For context, a human hair is about 70 micrometers thick. Microplastics have already been found in people's lungs, their excrement, their blood and in placentas, among other places. A 2018 study found an average of 325 pieces of microplastics in a liter of bottled water.

The association said there is "no scientific consensus on the potential health impacts of nano- and microplastic particles." It added: "media reports about these particles in drinking water do nothing more than unnecessarily scare consumers."

The researchers hypothesize that some of the plastics in the bottled water could be shedding from, ironically enough, the plastic used in types of water filters."

It's small granules. Also one gram of activated carbon has a surface area of 32,000 square feet. It is able to trap a lot of contaminants.

Totally aware of the enormous surface area of carbon. Its crazy.

Most of the fridge filters are rated for between 1 and 2 hundred gallons.

Back