Do wireless printers wear out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We a Canon Pixma wireless printer that we've been using for a couple years now. We use it a fair amount. Recently though, it you try and print something and it says printer is online and says its printing the first page but then nothing happens and after a little while longer it another message comes up that the printer will not work in its current status. I did a google search and it sounds like there are some people with similar printer problems. All I've tried is the classis turn off/turn on and that doesn't help much. Can anything be done to remedy the problem?

You specifically said wireless printers, what makes you think this has anything to do with being wireless? Not poking you here, just curious if there is a specific reason. The answer is no, BTW. There is nothing about the "wireless" portion that wears. Can you do a self-test on this printer? Get it to print out a system status page? or test page on the unit itself?

Printers do wear out, as does everything. Not an IT guru, but it sounds like a software problem. Look for updates...

I had the same problem with my Lexmark wireless printer, took removing & reinstalling the driver to get it to work. Something is interfering, could be as simple as an antivirus or firewall problem.

Try uninstalling the printer and reinstalling. Without being there, sounds like a problem on the operating system end, not the actual printer.

Can you try it with a USB cable and see if it prints consistently with that? We have an older Canon Pixma MP250 printer we paid $35 for at Walmart about 8 years ago and it's still printing like a champ. It's not a wireless model, though. This printer has far out-lasted any other consumer-grade printer I've owned.

I had a Cannon Pixma with same problem. I was sure it was a software problem. I removed and installed new software several times. I'm sure I tried other things as well because I'm as cheap as they come. Finally got an Epson that seems to work...for now.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I went to a brother laser printer and haven't looked back.

Ya I went to an HP laser and won't get anything but a laser (brand matters not) again.

Inkjets are OK if color is required, but if you let them sit between prints for any amount of time over a few weeks, you're just throwing away money. You WILL need a new ink cart, they're not designed to sit around.

Lasers can sit for a year+ and when you finally need it the page comes out perfect.

I got whining about a lack of color from the kids but if they really need color they can print at school...the laser is reliably there when it's needed every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back