Do Tire Leaks Get Worse ?

I've got a punctured tire that used to need filling up about once a week . Now it's every two days . Does the punctured hole get bigger over time or should I look elseware for a leak . Note : This tire cannot be patched per Discount Tire

I've got a punctured tire that used to need filling up about once a week . Now it's every two days . Does the punctured hole get bigger over time or should I look elseware for a leak . Note : This tire cannot be patched per Discount Tire
They certainly do not get any better. Plug the tire yourself. It is easy to do. Don't be concerned about patching it. Once the object falls out, the tire will deflate quickly.

YES! Once you have a puncture, it will definitely get worse over time, or at least that’s how it worked for me on several occasions throughout my dinosaur like’ life. Word to the wise, if you don’t have them, you may want to pay extra for true metal valve stems.

Do you KNOW where it's leaking? If it has a nail, the nail could be moving around and enlargening the hole. A used tire store will patch most any tire, especially if you pay cash.
Will they do it regardless of how many times it's been patched ? Discunt said it already has been patched 3 times .

Had a slow leak once, every two weeks on average needed to refill. I drove it for about a year that way, with no noticeable change in the timing needed to refill.

I'd like to get it fixed but it's been patched to many times . If I have to fill every week I'll deal with it . The tire has alot of tread left .
I feel your pain. One of the Contis on our Model 3 picked up a nail at about 10K. The tire was like new! Wheel Works (Firestone) would not repair it; too close to the sidewall per their rules. Over $400 all in for 1 stinkin' tire!

Rest assured, when it comes time to buy tires, these will not be going back on. This was more than I paid for the sticky Michelins on our GS350 F Sport.

If it's good enough to be driving on but too close to end to be patched by a tire shop, I'd head to Walmart and grab a plug kit and do that to get some more mileage out of it. I did that with one of the Subaru tires and they were fine when I got rid of the car. Regardless of multiple patches I'd give it a shot

Last edited:
Stick a plug in it. Takes 10 minutes including buying the kit.
This. I don't plug on shoulders, but some do. I'd plug it also to keep water from getting into the belts of the tire.

When my house was first built, i had so many nails in my gravel drive, that i had tires that i plugged 5 times. Replaced them after the tires found all the nails!

You could (also) have a bead leak, where the rim is corroding and jacking the tire away from the sealing surface. These get worse.

This. I don't plug on shoulders, but some do. I'd plug it also to keep water from getting into the belts of the tire.

When my house was first built, i had so many nails in my gravel drive, that i had tires that i plugged 5 times. Replaced them after the tires found all the nails!
From experience I plugged in the no zone before, and when tires on front they would need to have air added. On rears, no. That was before we got tires from Costco, who patches for free…

My DD had 3/4 tires plugged by me and all eventually needed air added regularly…

Back