Do "O2" Sensor brands make a differance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roland - Don't waste your money on the rear O2 sensor.
Let it break first, if it ever even does.
The FRONT sensor is the one that tells the computer how rich/lean the mixture is.

Don't get a wideband sensor if you car is not designed for it.
It is not an upgrade.

WOW jimmy..does chrysler* specifically use NTK 02 sensors? for years ive used bosch sensors, and could never figure out why i got such bad mileage. is NGK (NTK) an original dodge/chrysler 02 sensor?

That's what I understand from the guys over on a couple of Dodge forums I am on. NTK is the OE supplier for Mopar O2's. Buying NTK from the website is a lot lower price. I replaced both of my upstream O2's around 100,000 miles. My truck was running fine and I had no CEL and it didn't make much difference in MPG, but I did it as a maintenance item.

What did help my MPG a bit was replacing the Manifold Air Pressure Sensor. It was reading on the very low end of its acceptable range and replacing it helped restore some lost power and picked up 1 or 2 MPG's. $60.00 at Autozone. If your Mercury doesn't have a MAP sensor, it probably has a Manifold Air Flow (MAF sensor). Maybe that is affecting your MPG. I know CRC makes a MAF sensor cleaner spray, maybe that would help. Other than that I know nothing about MAF sensors.

jimmy thanks~! i never knew that, NTK is chryslers supplier/maker of 02's wow. i DEF wanna change the Bosch out. I remember calling 2 lcoal dealers last year, qoting how much 2 new snsors would be. it was insane like $120 each. i saw the ntk's on rockauto for like $49..wow. steelership markups*
my neon has a MAP sensor. think i'll check it with an ohm meter. would thier be a differnece, between an autozone sensor, and the dealer sensor?

Our impala was showing a code for o2 sensor, and an imp site I go on said the rears are prone to go bad first. I ordered a Denso from autopartswarehouse and after a major pain (good thing my brother is a tool guy) got it out and replaced. no codes. :)

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Roland - Don't waste your money on the rear O2 sensor.
Let it break first, if it ever even does.
The FRONT sensor is the one that tells the computer how rich/lean the mixture is.

Don't get a wideband sensor if you car is not designed for it.
It is not an upgrade.

+1

Unless you are going force induction and running outside the typical Air Fuel Ratio, there is no need for wide band O2.

As a side question, dont mean to thread jack. How do you guys feel about universal fit O2's where you have to splice them in?

This might help the original poster as well.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
The problem with the universal O2 sensors is the splicing part. If a proper splice is done, they should work fine.

agree!

I've not seen any evidence that Bosch sensors are more prone to failure than NTK or Denso sensors.

In fact, I've replaced a lot more NTK and Denso sensors than I have Bosch sensors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back