Do NOT check you oil level

Status
Not open for further replies.
My uncle comes over and he dont know [censored] about cars so i do the usual and chek his oil. I take the dipstick out and clean off the oil. When i tried to put it back in to recheck oil level it just BROKE! I dont know how.. It was nuts. I didnt even apply any pressure. So i just ended up squeezing the tube so the dip stick wont fall any further down. I will probably have to get a new tube and dipstick when i have to change his oil... Dam i hate old stuff.....

IMG_0290.jpg

Cant see it but its there.
IMG_0291.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, the dipstick fell off the cap on my old 2.2L OHV cavalier. My brother also managed to melt the transmission dipstick in half on that car. Stupid GM side posts.

can't do any harm down there, so the squeezing of the tube just put you back a little more...

seems very common with the plastic dipsticks though

i was thinking about the magnet but there is still some plastic, wood on top of the broken part so no magnet will grab.

ps. Jetronic.. are you sure it cant do any harm if it would to fall in???

This happened on my Volvo a few years back. I think the heat of the engine compartment and various fumes/chemicals under the hood dry out and weaken the plastic.

On mine I had to get a new tube as well as dipstick because Volvo changed the spec on the stick since my car had been made - it was longer. Easy repair though, took about 5 minutes to replace the tube.

Originally Posted By: Bulli
this is a 02 nissan sentra gxe

is this with the infamous coolant leaker 1.8L?
grin2.gif

Late 90's Dodge's have that same problem. They have a different model of dip stick that replaces the ones that broke off.

when i worked at sears we seemed to brake a few of those nissan dipsticks a year. i never broke one that god, but other techs seemed to break them a lot.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Originally Posted By: Bulli
this is a 02 nissan sentra gxe

is this with the infamous coolant leaker 1.8L?
grin2.gif

i have no idea. Im not into nissans that much but from what it looks like the coolant level never dropped since 02. i want him to get another car but he doesn't have money.

I can't count the dozens of times this happened when I worked at the lube center during my undergrad work. Ford's were the WORST about breaking.

Like the OP said, no pressure on it at all, just normal usage and SNAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back