Do NASCAR teams really use Mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by racin4ds
If any of you even remotely think the off-the-shelf M1 Garbage that you buy at Autozone is what is being used, you're delusional.....

Wait, Mobil 1 oils are garbage now?

Must have missed that memo...

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
IF any teams use Mobil oils, they are custom, high end blends that you or I can't touch. With that said, in my career with the ALMS/IMSA and BMW's We did NOT use Mobil products and knew of many teams that had engine failures while using it. .
I "touched" some Mobil1 Racing 0w30 yesterday. Ordered it over Amazon, EZ to get. Its a PAO, with I think some ester, high moly, high ZDDP, high anti-foam oil that would easily do just fine all day at NASCAR. You might be limiting your thinking to regular SN M1 or something, I don't know.

Many of the big motor oil companies have race oils for weekend racers. I remember a local speed shop (now closed) that had a special "Oil Alley" section. All sorts of brands/weights of different oil brands including specialty race oils.

Red Line had some single weight race oils. I recall they said they were low detergent (something about lower friction) but high ZDDP and really designed to be used quickly before the additives were depleted.

Last edited:
Back when Texaco Havoline was a sponsor of Robert Yates Racing, I saw the pit crew pour motor oil from a Texaco Havoline jug into the Dale Jarrett #88. Always wondered if it was actually Havoline that went into that engine. Was too far away to see if it was 20W-50 or what ever.

If any of you even remotely think the off-the-shelf M1 Garbage that you buy at Autozone is what is being used, you're delusional....

IF any teams use Mobil oils, they are custom, high end blends that you or I can touch. With that said, in my career with the ALMS/IMSA and BMW's We did NOT use Mobil products and knew of many teams that had engine failures while using it. Our 1999-2002 BMW M3 did use off the shelf Castrol SYNTEC in the 5 gallon dry sump...

How are you certain that teams would never use standard M1 ?

Your next sentence says you used off the shelf Castrol.

I don't know much about either oil...

Originally Posted by Kira
I must go with skepticism. Racecars are rolling billboards. Bottles and drums of oil in garages and pits might be props filled with anything.
I see no reason to trust anyone when money-especially advertising money-is involved.
Misrepresent with stickers on a car = you get money?? Too easy to lie, too risky to trust.

What's the risk?
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tig1
The cars showing the M1 logo use M1.

I can't speak for NASCAR, but in GT racing, it appears that Manthey Racing, the de facto Porsche factory team, has dumped Mobil 1 for Ravenol.

Originally Posted by Garak

I can't speak for NASCAR, but in GT racing, it appears that Manthey Racing, the de facto Porsche factory team, has dumped Mobil 1 for Ravenol.

Whoa!
crazy2.gif

Engine replacement got expensive! Better to be Pro-active and spend a little more on a quality oil up front...
wink.gif

I've been trying to see some other Manthey liveries, but their main site has way too much dated stuff and really doesn't push their sponsors. As for Ravenol in general, we'll see. They are supposedly making fuel and lubricants for Racing Point F1's Mercedes engines instead of the normally supplied Petronas for Mercedes customers. They louse it up and Lawrence Stroll will be taking a bath.

If any of you even remotely think the off-the-shelf M1 Garbage that you buy at Autozone is what is being used, you're delusional....

IF any teams use Mobil oils, they are custom, high end blends that you or I can touch. With that said, in my career with the ALMS/IMSA and BMW's We did NOT use Mobil products and knew of many teams that had engine failures while using it. Our 1999-2002 BMW M3 did use off the shelf Castrol SYNTEC in the 5 gallon dry sump...

Many teams in NASCAR today are using the Gibbs racing oils as well as Redline.

You can buy the Mobil One the vast majority of NASCAR teams use yourself online and some autoparts stores.

They louse it up and Lawrence Stroll will be taking a bath.
Maybe anti-foaming would worry me if I suddenly had to formulate an F1 oil. I'd probably make one similar to M1 Racing 0w30, which is all-PAO, although maybe with half POE, half PAO. Lots of moly & zddp. A trick would be how low to make a super-high shear rate, high temperature viscosity to be. Make it too low, and you start losing engines mid-race. Ravenol better nail it.

Originally Posted by dave1251
You can buy the Mobil One the vast majority of NASCAR teams use yourself online and some autoparts stores.
Are you saying they simply use M1 Racing 0w30 or 0w50?

Last edited:
I wonder if they're even as thick as a 30 grade in F1. I don't doubt that the base stocks are very impressive.

I was reading an article some time ago about gear lubes in F1. Apparently, they get aerated to a ridiculous degree.

Originally Posted by CT8
You would think the NASCAR teams would use Amsoil
... or Redline. Amsoil has some very stable HD diesel oils that would work in all likelihood. Redline has significant amounts of POE & PAO, with high moly, etc., and proven. Plenty of choices really. ... Penrite, anyone?

The Amsoil "Dominator" racing oil 10w30 website says:
"Commercial Availability: .. Many oil companies produce specialty racing oils for elite groups and do not offer them to the general public. For example, several popular oil manufacturers produce racing oils offered only to NASCAR teams. DOMINATOR Synthetic Racing Oil is already formulated to a high level of performance. It provides maximum performance and superior protection to all racers, regardless of their competition level. The same DOMINATOR Synthetic Racing Oil that is used in the engines of AMSOIL corporately sponsored racers, including Scott Douglas and Brad Lovell, is available to everyone."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back