Do I really need to register my battery?

In my own experience, my BMW required a battery registration when I swapped out my old one with fluctuating voltage.

I was able to install a NAPA The Legend battery sized for my car, and, as I did not yet have a tool to do it myself (I have a Carly BMW OBDII tool now), I just took it over to my BMW dealer to do the registration. They did it for the NAPA battery without complaints or upsell, along with some routine maintenance I couldn’t do myself at the time due to the deep snow back when I did it.

Swap in your own and see if they will do the registration. Or get the tool if you plan to do more Audi-specific diagnostics a lot in the future. Buying a tool for only that is an expensive solution.

Well..I went ahead and ordered a OBDeleven scan tool. I plan to buy a Walmart (EPenn) H6 battery and do the replacement. This will set me back approx $250 and I get the scan tool. My local dealer quoted me $354 to install and code a new battery.

Thanks for everyone’s advice!

I wonder how the charging system can determine charge rates without a temperature sensor on the battery.

This folks is what's wrong with today's cars. Sorry............Dumbest thing I've heard today. Dash lights up with not telling the car you changed the battery light??? Pfffffft.........................

Not today's car's but today's German cars...

From what I understand VW/Audi cars (and some other brands) require you to register the new battery so the car knows the proper charging rates. I don't know if it's BS or not..hence my question..
You'll run the risk of overcharging the battery that way leaking to venting in the cabin. Just do it right the first time.

I wonder how many late model F150 owners replace the battery and think they don't gotta do anything else?

The Ford system is really designed to extend the life of the battery and if you replace your battery and don't reset the BMS you'll be fine (regardless of what the guy selling OTC scanners tells you). Besides Ford let's you manually reset the BMS without spending a couple hundred dollars on a new scanner.

Back