Do I need to get my string trimmer tuned up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Husqvarna light brush cutter last year to clear the large hill behind my house. It's going to be that time again in a couple months and I'm wondering if I need to get the thing tuned up since it was brand new before last season. I ran it somewhere between 10 and 20 hours last year. Here are my specific questions:

- Do I need to replace the spark plug? TBH I haven't even pulled it to check yet and of course I'll do that, but I'm not sure how long they're supposed to last.

- Do I need to replace the foam air filter or just clean it off?

- My main question - is there any value in taking it back to the dealer for a professional tune up? If so is this a "once after break in" thing or a "before every season" thing?

I can't imagine there's anything to be done that I wouldn't be willing to do myself but at this point I don't have the knowledge. I also don't have any test equipment such as a tach that can measure fast enough to make sure the WOT engine speed is correct. I'd like it to be running in top shape but given I'm so new to this whole thing that I don't know what kinds of problems to look for (this is the first trimmer I've ever used, and practically the first gasoline OPE I've ever used really).

I should probably check again to confirm, but from what I recall when I first read it, it didn't have any suggestions other than checking the air filter and possibly an interval for checking the spark plug. I don't remember reading anything about taking it in for servicing.

I actually didn't think to re read that though and I will.

Pull, clean and re-gap spark plug. Check spark arrester screen on the exhaust. If it's not gummed up, it's god to go. Check your throttle cable to make sure it's properly routed and secure. Look for and check all other fasteners to make sure they're tight. If you unit has a gear drive at the bottom that requires lubricant, you should check it to ensure there's lube in it. Put in some fresh fuel/oil mix and go to work.

You do not want to bring it to a dealer just to have them dust it off and hand you an $80.00 bill for labour.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Pull, clean and re-gap spark plug. Check spark arrester screen on the exhaust. If it's not gummed up, it's god to go. Check your throttle cable to make sure it's properly routed and secure. Look for and check all other fasteners to make sure they're tight. If you unit has a gear drive at the bottom that requires lubricant, you should check it to ensure there's lube in it. Put in some fresh fuel/oil mix and go to work.

You do not want to bring it to a dealer just to have them dust it off and hand you an $80.00 bill for labour.
Agreed!

A carb adjustment can do a lot of good for very small engines, but if it's running good, just throw a new spark plug in and be done with it. If the old one looks really good, you can reuse it, but if there's any wear or fouling I would just replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back