Do I need a new ac compressor for my 5th gen 4runner?

Hi,
My 2016 4runner with 106000 miles, is not blowing cold air when it is really hot outside, which is pretty much 100 degrees every day here in Texas this summer, what a time to fail. It works okay during early mornings and late evenings, sometimes I also hear a loud noise coming from the ac compressor. I changed the relay but it didn't work. Do I need a new compressor already? I feel it is too soon for new compressor on a 4runner, supposedly the most problem free vehicle.

Do verify that the compressor is running via the engaged clutch. Most likely you are low on refridgerant. Compressors do make some noise when operating. If the compressor sounds like a shaken can of bolts, it likely is bad.

As others have mentioned, I think that you may be low on refrigerant and need a good professional A/C tech to see what's going on with a set of manifold gauges which will check for leaks(pressure test) and read the HIGH & LOW side. I would wager that you're just low on refrigerant.

The compressor doesn't engage of it is hot. The sound is more like a shrieking noise that happens sometimes.

Yep you can buy the gauges etc but unless you are set up to evacuate the system do all the repairs & properly recharge it you’ll just waste time & money. Been there did that on my 07 Jeep. It did last 15 years though mine was a leaky evaporator in the heater/ac box.

do the fans work? if the radiator fan(s) quit you won't get a/c especially when stopped or in the sun but the engine may never overheat if you keep moving.

Have you changed the cabin filter lately? Also make sure the intake by the front cowl is free of debris.

Have you changed the cabin filter lately? Also make sure the intake by the front cowl is free of debris.
I just changed the cabin filter and it did have a leaf but my ac worked fine in morning at noon it only blows hot air.

If it a variable displacement type there is a valve that goes bad. This valve can be replaced versus whole compressor. Still needs to be evacuated and recharged either way. Mine is Variable displacement type and had similar symptoms. I replaced whole compressor due to high mileage 300k. Good luck to you. We have alot more hot days in store here.

You can go to an auto parts store like Autozone and borrow the necessary gauges, hoses and vacuum pump. If the system shows it is low on refrigerant, put in some refrigerant with UV dye to find out where the leak is with a UV light and replace the leaking part along with the accumulator/dryer. If the system shows it is fully charged, test the high and low pressure switches as well as the compressor with a multimeter and a jumper wire to isolate the problem and replace the faulty part along with the accumulator/dryer. Evacuate the system with the vacuum pump and recharge the system. Easy peasy.

Likely road damage punctured the condenser, or one of the ports valve cores is leaking. Like others have said, take it to a professional.

I don't think you need a professional to diagnose a leak. If there is still some pressure in the system, top it off with some refrigerant containing uv dye. If it is a valve core leaking that would be an easy fix.

How clean is the fins of the radiator and condenser? On my 15 Tacoma I notice on really hot days it doesn’t blow as cold till the temps come down some. Try spraying water on the condenser with it running and see if there any change.

Good chance your compressor clutch is worn. When its cooler out and the truck is cold, the clutch coil has a stronger magnetisim, allowing the clutch to engage. As things heat up the coil cant pull as good and the clutch stops engaging. 2 pretty simple tests to diagnose it. Once the compressor stops coming on, CAREFULLY tap the front of the pulley with a broom stick. If the compressor engages, worn clutch. Other way is volt meter to the plug in the compressor. If theres about 13-14 volts and the clutch isnt engaged, worn clutch.
If you wanna go the cheap route, you can rent a clutch puller from autozone and remove a shim from the clutch but honestly i would replace the compressor.

Back