do flip phones suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, got the old Nokia bricks reactivated again, and the reception is crystal clear! just the way it was! returned the crappy LG's...still thinking of getting the new version of the Nokia brick..we can get it anytime since we renewed the contract for another 2 yrs... (the new Nokia brick is more modern, but still a brick, but a better looking brick)

interesting, Ive had issues with signal quality of sony ericsson phones.

Maybe its just our location... or the model of phone

JMH

My wife and I have the small Samsung flip phones. We both love them. We were having signal trouble at home, but so was everyone else who came to visit, that is the problem really was a weak signal, not a particular type of phone or particular carrier. A new tower in the area just solved that problem (thank goodness).

The great thing about these Samsung phones is thier size. Tiny, tiny, tiny. They'll disappear into your pocket like nothing else. They're pretty durable, too. I'm usually pretty tough on phones and pagers and these have help up well, despite being dropped and banged around.

I used to have an LG phone with Verizon service. I never had any problems with the LG phone. My wife on the other hand had some problems (note: she has problems with her current Motorola phone also so who knows). Anyway, I really never had complaints about the phone or the service. What made me mad was Verizon's crappy customer service and the fact that they kept screwing up my bill.

So, I switched to Cingular. We purchased two Motorolla V551 phones. At first, the calls seem to be much more clear and crisp vs. the Verizon/LG service. However, after a year of Cingular/Motorola phone I'm fed up. Both of our Motorola phones suck. We cannot hear on them at all. Volumes are all the way up. Plus, we never seem to have a full signal. All the calls are in & out. I just want to throw the phones and the service out the window.

I just wish I could figure out if it's crappy service or crappy phones. I just want a reliable provider with phones that are clear. I don't care about all the bells and whistles like pictures or music, or anything like that.

I want a phone that works and is clear and has a signal when I need to make a call. Is that too much to ask for????

I just read the reviews on the "new" nokia brick (6235i model) at www.phonescoop.com: Funny: several of Alltel people had to reurn other (flip)phones, including the very LG model, and get this nokia so they can get good reception...the reviews are stellar, especially from people who live in hard-to-receive areas...this gives me further hope that the new Nokia model will live upto the image of the ones we have...(it's buy one get one free right now from alltel)

I've got the tiniest, cheapest (free) LG flip phone possible, and I've been completely happy with it. The reception is excellent, everything works, and it's taken a beating or two but it's still going strong after a year and a half or so. No complaints.

jeff

true: i understand that in "normal" city areas where there are NO special difficulties to receive a signal, most phones probably DO work: no matter if they are flip/non-flip or LG, Nokia or any other major brand.

What I am commenting on is that in "difficult to receive" areas like ours or other "in the sticks" areas, it seems that Nokia bar phones in GENERAL work better, and this particular model LG flip performs poorly, and so do some other flip-phones. (this is judging by the comments of the alltel tech-support[=they said several people who got the LG AX4270 had to go back to a Nokia or Kyocera bar phone in rural areas], reviews of the LG and nokias in forums where difficult signal conditions were of concern...and of course by our own experience a few days ago.)

I really liked the free LG phones we got, too..it was unfortunate that they were not so "tough" like the Nokias to receive signals in our particular case/area.

Reception is particularly a problem in rural areas. The federal regulators are phasing out the more powerful analog cell phone technology (which the large bulky phones worked on) in favor of the less powerful digital technology that uses GPS chips, which the little flip phones work on. The result is that the signal is weaker and won't reach places in the rural areas that the analog signal used to reach. In Montana, which is huge and rural and has few people and where everything is a ways away, this doesn't affect just convenience, but also health, safety, and law enforcement concerns come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back