do flip phones suck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We upgraded our cell phones today from our old, bulky (by today's standadrds), open face cell phones to a cute little LG flip phone...came home and the service SUCKS! (only thing changed was the phones). We can hardly call/hear each other inside the house, which we were able to do just fine before using the bulky Nokias with amazing clarity and loudness. We live in a hard-to-receive area but our previous Nokia phones worked VERY well...(3 or 4 bars our of 5 almost all the time; people were surprised seeing that I got calls INSIDE the campus with those, which other people were never able to do) The LG hardly shows one bar, and just doesn't do a da** thing!

so we called alltel, and the guy just said it's the new phones: being a smaller, flip-style phone, the LG just doesn't have the receiving power of the old Nokias. we're returning the flip's tomorrow, and keeping the old bulky but VERY reliable and powerful Nokias (or perhaps get the newer version of the Nokia's we have, which is still an open-phase, "larger" camera phone; perhaps it'll work like the ones we have now....)

DISSAPOINTING
mad.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
mad.gif

the bulky nokia is the BEST phone youre going to get today... battery is great, reception is great, robustness is great.

All else is some sort of bling for the most part, and the 'professional' type flip phones (no camera, etc) are just belt ornaments, definitely not better than the nokia brick.

Ive heard good thinga about the razr, but I dont have the guts to chance it... over a free nokia brick.

JMH

My wife and I both have Sanyos. I'm able to get decent reception in some fringe areas-particularly in NW Iowa. Far better reception than I've ever gotten with another phone.

The Sanyos are flip phone style. I still have the original 2+ year old battery and go a week or more between charges. Sometimes 2-3 days if I'm traveling in fringe areas and the phone is struggling to maintain the signal.

I have two SONY flips, a 520i and 800i,beatifully finished and excellent quality buttons and display,quite durable too considering the 500i got dropped twice,also the best reception and clarity.

Always buy only antenna phone, they have better reception than the one who doesn't.

The bigger/beefier the antenna, the better. Even for flip phone.

I still have the old Motorola that comes inside a zippered notebook case with a note pad. The reception is EXTREMELY clear.

my brother had a motorola flip and he hates it.. it's always changing the ringer volume on it's own while it's in his pocket.. no way to lock the volume button... I've got a new non-flip nokia. I don't like it nearly as much as the older PCS nokias I had. you've got to fight with the buttons to get it to do anything.

quote:

Originally posted by 97f150:
Every LG I have ever used or heard anyone talk about was junk.

Bingo. But , did you change providers? At my house, I don't get a Verizon signal but get a full signal with Cingular (LG Phone)

97f150: Funny because my experience is the exact opposite. I've never made better or clearer calls than with an LG phone. LG is not a cheap mfg IMO. I had an Audiovox that was garbage. My wife would be talking to her mom on our drive to town (we live about 20 miles out) and I would be talking to my brother and I'd drop the call 1/2 dozen times. She'd talk straight through. I've got experience with 4 models of LG and every one of them have been ultra reliable and clear with great reception. LG actually makes high end products in washer/dryer, flat panel TV, PC flat panels, etc.

No, I did not change providers; just got the plan extended for another 2 yrs, because it. The service has been GREAT with our old Nokia's as I mentioned in the 1st post...so it's got to be the LG's.

anyway, I'm wondering if the new version of our Nokia bricks is also good..here it is: does anybody have/use this model? :

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/6235i/0,7747,feat:1,00.html

Would love some feedback, if anybody has/had it.
Thanks!

the nokia brick I owned was junk and the 2 lg's i've had since then have been pretty good. I have known others that had problems with their lg's though.

LG appliances used to be goldstar brand in the US.

quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
LG appliances used to be goldstar brand in the US.

offtopic.gif
Correct; in fact, I worked for Goldstar back in '92, building TV's. If you have a Goldstar TV from that year, it might just be a wavinwayne special (built like a tank).
smile.gif

I fixed a lot of those GoldStar t.v.'s W-W. The quality was similar to SamSung. They used a lot of Toshiba I.C.'s, a '92 Goldstar was kinda like a '90 Toshiba. I liked to work on them, they were very straightforward and well labeled on the motherboards. Simple and rugged.
GoldStar and Lucky Chemical combined to form Lucky GoldStar, then L.G.
P.B.

I made a bet with my friend (who was anti Korean product) in 2001 on which of our phones would last the longest. I had a Samsung phone that was built like a tank and she had a Motorola. Her's died 2 years later and I still have mine in perfect working order and original battery.

Last year I bought another Samsung but unfortuntly, this model is made in China. Most Korean phones (LG and Samsung) are Made in China nowadays to cut cost. dangit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back