Do differentials run HOT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

par

Hi,

what is the chacteristic temperture of a car/light truck differential?

Can you put your hand on it, after a long highway run on a warm 90F day?

i dont know what kind of diffies you guys have (maybe some inefficent heat producing kind?) but my old subaru's diff never got above 120f. i was awalys able to keep a hand on it without getting too hot even after 90mph cruises.

diffs get extremely hot when breaking in the gear set, hot enough to damage ARB locker seals if driven long distances on new gears

my LX450's diffs only get luke warm after my 30 mile freeway commute, it has 110K on the original gears front and rear

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
The temps of the differential depends on the load and the horsepower.

Yup, about 3 or 4% of the power going into the differential gets converted to heat. Cruising down the highway using 40 hp makes a lot less heat than a WFO run.

FWIW

I checked the temperature on the differential of my wife's Nissan PathFinder diffy last night when she arrived home:

1. Ambient temp - 99 F

2. Diffy case temp - 140 F.

3. Driven at 75+ mph for 47 miles.

GL was a proprietary 75W90 GL5.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
Yup, about 3 or 4% of the power going into the differential gets converted to heat. Cruising down the highway using 40 hp makes a lot less heat than a WFO run.

40 * .04 = 1.6

1.6 * 746 = 1193.6 watts

It's like an 1193.6 watt space heater inside the differential.

Although I thought the HP figures for highway cruising were more on the order of 10-15HP.

FWIW

I checked the temperature of the differential on my Nissan Frontier diffy tonight when I arrived home:

1. Ambient temp - 101 F

2. Diffy case temp - 158 F.

3. Driven at 75+ mph for 42 miles.

GL was a proprietary 75W90 GL5. Temp taken using RS Infrared Temp sensor.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

Although I thought the HP figures for highway cruising were more on the order of 10-15HP.

Depends on the car and how fast you cruise
smile.gif

I think 100 lb force to move a car down the road is fairly low for the smallish average car.

At 60 mph = 88 ft/sec

100lb x 88 ft/sec = 8800 ftlb/sec

1 hp = 550 ft lb/sec

8800/550 = 16 hp Assuming a drive train efficiency of 85%, that = 18.8 hp at the flywheel.

But that's too close to your estimate
smile.gif
. I could change the drag to something like you would get on a Crown Vic or just change the speed.

Power is roughly proportional to the cube of the speed. This is pretty accurate for small speed changes.

Lets try 70 mph

18.8 x (70/60)^3 = 29.86 hp. Close enough to my guess
lol.gif

I was searching for information on temp's for a differential.

I checked the rear differential in my Cressida today after a 100 mile run at 75mph. I check the case several times with my infrared gun and got readings of around 180-185F. Ambiant temp was about 80F.

I didn't know the differential would produce that much heat and I am running Shaffers #267.

I have been considering having my pinion bearings looked at as I do get a slight whinning noise from the rear end now. Is this a temp. a further sign of worn bearings or is that a reasonable temp. ?

diff design has a lot to do with it as well. The more hypoid it is, the more heat generated.
Spiral bevel designs generate a lot less heat (pinion on the centre line of the crown wheel)
I'll take some temp readings off my front and rear diffs tonight (Land Rover Defender, constant 4wd, front diff spiral bevel, rear hypoid design])

Look for a story in Four Wheeler's July issue (appearing in early June) that will detail the particulars of some tests we did on my truck in a towing situation. Speed, load, hypoid offset, bearing preloads all are factors and each model of diff is different. The lubricant can bring down the temp dramatically, as we learned, by reducing friction. High capacity covers are also a benifit. I actually subjected my truck to a 34,000 pound towed load in these tests!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back