Do AC systems need to be topped off occasionally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by scurvy

I work with industrial electricians, several of whom are licensed, unionized, industrial HVAC guys. Every single one of them has the kwik-kool-in-a-can with the cheesy gauge on top in their garage and that's all they've used on their cars or their family's cars. Not cooling as well but works ok otherwise? Give it a lil top-off. The entire-system-must-be-evacuated-and-refilled-by-weight-only chorus isn't wrong, it's just massive overkill in most cases. Safest, maybe. Most thorough, probably. Etc... - yes. But not necessary 95% of the time.

Even better, if you've got gauges on the low and high sides you can get a pretty darn good idea of the total system charge with a PT chart and how well the system works with a thermometer stuck in the vents...

The only issue with those cans is when the vehicle does get serviced "properly" those sealers contaminate the bottle and the machine. A shop can't just evacuate to the atmosphere like an average person can in their driveway.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Originally Posted by scurvy

I work with industrial electricians, several of whom are licensed, unionized, industrial HVAC guys. Every single one of them has the kwik-kool-in-a-can with the cheesy gauge on top in their garage and that's all they've used on their cars or their family's cars. Not cooling as well but works ok otherwise? Give it a lil top-off. The entire-system-must-be-evacuated-and-refilled-by-weight-only chorus isn't wrong, it's just massive overkill in most cases. Safest, maybe. Most thorough, probably. Etc... - yes. But not necessary 95% of the time.

Even better, if you've got gauges on the low and high sides you can get a pretty darn good idea of the total system charge with a PT chart and how well the system works with a thermometer stuck in the vents...

The only issue with those cans is when the vehicle does get serviced "properly" those sealers contaminate the bottle and the machine. A shop can't just evacuate to the atmosphere like an average person can in their driveway.

My guess is those pros use the cans of r134a and the hose with low pressure gauge, that way all you are doing is adding pure refrigerant to the system. It's also easy to bleed any air out of these small refill hoses too. I've also found that it's wise to buy a name brand refrigerant like Chemours (DuPont) or similar that meet the purity requirements set by the industry, and it produced in the USA, while cheaper cans of r134 can be had but the quality might be suspect and might be contaminated with other refrigerant, and is made in China. It might cost you an extra couple of dollars for the brand name but you can trust it won't cause more problems or contaminate your system.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

My guess is those pros use the cans of r134a and the hose with low pressure gauge, that way all you are doing is adding pure refrigerant to the system. It's also easy to bleed any air out of these small refill hoses too. I've also found that it's wise to buy a name brand refrigerant like Chemours (DuPont) or similar that meet the purity requirements set by the industry, and it produced in the USA, while cheaper cans of r134 can be had but the quality might be suspect and might be contaminated with other refrigerant, and is made in China. It might cost you an extra couple of dollars for the brand name but you can trust it won't cause more problems or contaminate your system.

Chemours, Ineos and Honeywell - the three main fluorochemical suppliers in the world have plants in the US, China and Europe as well. Most of the world's HFO-1234yf/yo come from a joint venture between Honeywell and Chemours in China. A plant in Louisiana will be online.

I tell people to stay away from that AC Pro junk, unless that car's last stop is a junkyard. A shop will be [censored] off if they can't sell their used R-134a to a recycler.

You can't get Chemours brand R-134a in CA unless it's in a 30lb tank, CARB wants retail-sized cans to have a resealable closure. I actually like that, you can store the can(at the risk of losing the can deposit) with a partial fill of refrigerant without keeping the can tap on it.

A 30 lb jug contains the equivalent of 40 (fourty) 12 oz cans. It is much less expensive that way.

Originally Posted by Slick17601
My Sienna is 11.5 years old and blows ice cold. AC has never been touched.

Same here with my Sienna, although mine is 9 years old with 117k. Blows ice cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back