AC components need replaced after leak?

2007 Chrysler Pacifica. Wife's car, original owners. 147K miles.

AC stopped working last August. Investigated and it was clear there was a leak somewhere. Put dye in then and it appears the leak is around the compressor, perhaps on top where one of the lines connects. Can't quite tell yet without a more involved teardown, which I plan to do this weekend.

*IF* I get in there and see it's something as simple as a bad line or even just a bad seal, how much of the system should I replace based on the leak and the amount of time the system has been open? Obviously I'll pull a vacuum, but are there components I just need to scrap and install new?

This is a car I hope to keep in service for three more years. If I need to install new compressor, accumulator, drier, etc., I will. Of course, if it's not needed, I probably wont. Thanks a lot.

As long as the system isn't "broken", a leak is just a "leak". What potentially can happen is the compressor oil can be expelled (leaked) and then you don't have enough and then things get wonky. Check your orifice tube for contamination. If it looks nasty or has metal shavings etc. , then you have something going on.
Leaking O-rings and connections are one thing... the health of your system has to be judged by gauges and pressures. It's a science.

If you do have a leak at the min. a new receiver/dryer should be installed,,,
Not necessarily. Unless the system pressure drops to total 0. Then how long was it at 0? If the system has pressure, recover it, repair it and vacuum for several hours. Or do a triple vacuum break for the best evac you can get.

Yes it would be best to install a new dryer and O-rings......

Replace the receiver-drier (accumulator) any time you crack the system open...especially if for more than a minute or two.
Little extreme on the time here guy. A good deep vacuum procedure will easily remove any moisture that 60 seconds open can ingest. Need to think months or years on this. Good deep vacuum can overcome this with a system open for short time.

Back