Change ac compressor and condenser?

I have a 2015 camaro. Recently I’ve noticed the ac compressor is much louder than usual and making kind of a knocking noise.

I tried to turn the compressor by hand and it seems stiff compared to other cars. The AC still blows cold and it doesn’t bog down the engine.

Seems like I’ll need a new compressor. I know if there’s catastrophic/siezed compressor failure, the condenser and the whole system needs to be replaced and flushed.

In my case it’s “starting” to fail, but the AC still works good. Would it be ok to just replace the compressor or do I have to do replace and flush everything?

Fwiw, The compressor was actually replaced at a dealer 4 years ago due to clutch coil failure. It’s never had a leak and always blowed cold. Also this model still uses R-134A refrigerant.

What's the oil look like? Clean or burned? You can back flush the condenser. Any metal that comes out means replace the condenser,flush etc.
Not sure. Haven’t done anything yet

Ideally it should be clean cause the AC never had a leak and was only serviced once at a dealer. The car never had those “stop leak” cans put in it either

You say it works good, I would leave it alone. Your observations are basically irrelevent without hanging a gauge set on the system to see how the compressor is performing.

Just replace the compressor ASAP and also replace the receiver/dryer. Additionally, consider installing a filter.

I had this happen to the Colorado. We probably have the same compressor. Sounded like a jack hammer but still worked fine. However you could see the pulley was not spinning true so failure was imminent.

I had a local mechanic change the compressor out for me with another OEM unit from GM. He also wanted to change the receiver dryer but found out it was part of the condenser and was also on backorder. So he theorized that unless I actually had a failure where I had to flush the system to just change compressor and go with it from there. There was also no metal found when he took it apart in the system. It has been one year so far and no problems. Wasn't a $1,200 bill I was happy to pay but could have been worse.

I contemplated doing it myself but after the horror he went through trying to get it out where it was packaged in the truck. I am glad I didn't.

Back