diy ,powerful laptop wifi antenna..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an HP ZE4100 laptop and i want to add some type of high gain antenna.Does someone know of something easy to make or put together?

You can also get a USB Wireless Adapter (Cheapie $20 one Online) with an extension cable (My Dollar Store carries these). Plug the extension cable into your computer, plug the USB Wireless Adapter into the cable. Then cut a hole in the side of a coffee can (Bigger the better) about mid way up and stick the wireless USB adapter in this hole. You can also get a dollar-store tripod for a camera and use it to create a holder to hold it on your desk. Similar to Picture #2

See below... And don't laugh because it works!

Like this:
im000742-800x600.jpg

Holder:
usbcan_18.jpg

Note: You don't need one like the picture shown above with an antenna, the one with an internal antenna in the USB adapter will do the same job.

I have 3 of these in service for myself a friend and a neighbor.

Now if you want to pick up a ton of wireless networks you can build one of these. I have one on my TV tower 50ft high above my roof and I can pick up almost 50 networks and I live in the country with my closest neighbour about 1/2 mile down the road in either direction.

Mine looks way better and looks like a satellite dish and is weather protected.

I also had to use a powered USB Hub to concentrate the signal as at 50ft it looses the USB signal pretty quick. With the Hub it boosts it so I can get it into my room which is beside the TV tower.
grin2.gif
I know... I'm a geek.
lol.gif

FJE56PFFBSYNUZG.MEDIUM.jpg

There are specific measuring qualifications for where you want to put the cantenna holes to get proper signal.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There are specific measuring qualifications for where you want to put the cantenna holes to get proper signal.

This is true, but most of the time if you locate it between 1/3rd and 1/2 the way up from the sealed end of the can it will work very efficiently.

I have found the Large coffee can to be best for this out of the ones I have built. My first was using a foil coated Pringles Chip can. It worked, but not as good as the large coffee can.

I also found that if you cover the outside of the coffee can with brass mesh (that looks like window screening) it will block outside interference and can boost the signal up to 25%. I just wrapped 2 layers of this around the can and then duct-taped the heck out of it. The brass mesh stops any kind of RF around the can so that the signal inside the can is super concentrated and free of noise.

I won't tell you how much time I have wasted spent on this.
whistle.gif

What I will tell you is that my dad has a 10 foot solid Aluminum C-Band TV dish and I want to put a receiver on it and see what I can pick up then instead of using the 18" Digital Dish like shown above.
20.gif
It's about 20ft away from the house so I will need to boost the power on the USB cables to get it there.
20.gif

This is what the brass mesh looks like. The one shown below is Copper but it's the same only Brass. (Couldn't find a picture)

faraday-cage-mesh-close-up.jpg

Now all the networks I pick up that are unsecured I mark down and drive around on spare time (usually weekends) with an antenna I have on the truck that sticks to the roof with a magnet. I then find the source as best as possible and try to notify the owners that their network is wide open. If I can't find the network because the houses are too close together I see if their computer is visible on the wireless network and place a file on their desktop (some hacking knowledge I have) telling them they are open for attack and how to fix it. I don't tell them who I am. Usually some months later those networks are secured. So I think I'm doing some good.

In the file it says that I was in there computer and if I was able to put a file on their desktop warning them of what I did then they should know that others with malicious intend may not be so nice... I scare the $#!@ out of them so they get the picture.

You would not believe how many networks are wide open. The antenna on the truck is the best thing I have bought. (Entertainment)

Originally Posted By: eljefino
The cantenna guide lists PCMCIA cards with antenna jacks.
can you post a link to a pic showing this?the original card has a cover that bolts over it.I don't see how i can install a card for a cord connection on it.

Stevie the C-band antenna if it has mesh has to have real tight mesh like that copper stuff. "Bigger holes" lets the microwaves through. C-band antennae used to have bigger mesh so the snow would fall through and wind wouldn't catch them, before satellites started transmitting on Ku Band as well.

If you can find a C/Ku antenna it will have tighter mesh that reflects the spectrum properly. That little dish saucer is Ku.

ori_edge.jpg

They make PCMCIA (and presumably USB) wifi cards with little jacks that look like the above. Also most/all desktop wifi cards will have those. Cantenna folks probably know the best/ most hackable cards out there.

this is the one i ended up getting. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130337315459&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT So what do i need now to connect it to my laptop?

I'm currently using an Arizona Iced Tea Can (Long & Cylindrical) on my Asus router around the antenna and I have boosted the signal by 1 full bar using the standard 70mw power setting in the routers DD-WRT firmware. I upped it to 80mw along with the can and now I have virtually no noise and a very strong signal. I get the "Excellent" signal strength reported by Windows anywhere in my house and the router is in the basement next to a concrete wall.

The wire mesh acts as a "faraday cage" blocking out most radio waves, depending on how wide the spaces are in it. Very interesting stuff, as I am also studying to get my Ham radio operators license. I will have to keep this thread in mind if I hear of anybody looking to improve their wireless services.

I have messed around quite extensively with these home made antennas because most routers today suck at putting out a signal. Probably due to FCC restrictions or something. Anyways... The post I have above is the best I have found so far for boosting the signal strength to your wireless clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back