Recommend laptop computer for mechanical engineering freshman

Our new spec is dual 27s which is what I had for the prior 10 years. I might not have got the 45 if I would have known that dual 27s were coming.

But that said I love the 45 and I plug my personal laptop into it when I'm doing personal business like the budget and billing. The Dell dock requires Thunderbolt so it didn't work with my cheap personal. But HDMI does work with the personal.
I just looked up the 45 oled monitors. wow, that is not cheap. looks very nice though.

I just looked up the 45 oled monitors. wow, that is not cheap. looks very nice though.
You can get it for $500 off now because they released the successor

the one I have:

new for 2024:

• Helpful
Reactions: b_b
I have a Dell Precision 3560 workstation class laptop for my work and I don't recommend it. Software is way more buggy than the Latitudes. Only thing that is good is that you can configure them with 64GB RAM, and ours have the 64GB upgrade. That will allow you to run vritualization pretty easily.

I don't have experience with the 7550s but they have the high end stuff so I'm assuming they are better.
The software should be the same. At my jobs I have always been using Precision or the equivalent laptops and they are not any worse in reliability until the cooling fan is worn out. They are much heavier however and the power bricks are much bigger (230W with dock and 170W without dock) and they are loud.

There's always a lottery on whether you get a reliable or unreliable one.

Reactions: Y_K
Broadcom is doing this to us now that the VMWare acqisition has closed. Renewal cost for VMWare more than quadulpled and perpetual licenses revoked. They will tell you you get all the SKUs now with one purchase, but we will never use 80% of it.

I've been reading licenses are up anywhere between 400% to over 1000%. That's crazy! We're not 100% sure on what we're gonna use after VMware yet, but there's a few ones we're looking at to also replace both VMware and starwind.

I got an ASUS Tuf Gaming F15 with a 12700h processor (14 cores) and an RTX 4070 for about 1100. It also came with 32gb ram and a 2tb ssd.

I bought both my kids laptops for their entrance into engineering in 2020 - summer of the pandemic. Not cheap and hard to find.

First year they did very little other than MS office - even in engineering. One daughter was in software - she wrote most her code and still does on a cheap laptop she runs only Linux on. She then built a desktop. So the expensive Alienware laptop she wanted didn't get used much.

Kid 2 figured she would be doing cad, so wanted bigger with the best screen. Except they didn't do much Cad in year one, and then she wanted a thin light one to carry around. She does use the original for SolidWorks now, but didn't till year 3 I think?

My suggestion - buy a $500 one from Dell Outlet - upgrade when you figure out what they actually need.
This. While alot of people are unfamiliar with Linux, it's heavily used for servers, cad, professional movie rendering (Think Pixar) etc.

This. While alot of people are unfamiliar with Linux, it's heavily used for servers, cad, professional movie rendering (Think Pixar) etc.
Linux works however anything amiss it’s a project to fix it and you won’t get help as easily doing that vs Mac or Windows.

Basically the challenge is supporting it remotely.

Depends. Bentley and AutoDesk do not support windows; neither do most their extensions and additions like autoturn and project wise.

Call the schools mechanical engineering dept. What ever they tell you get a better one as they will give you the minimum specs.

Stay away from gaming laptops. You need a workstation (think desktop in a laptop).

Our son went through this 5 years ago. I got him a workstation that was about twice the specs of what the school wanted. Sucker is heavy.

He does a LOT of solid works. While he sometime had 50+ images up his never failed. All the gaming laptops the other students bought sucked in this application and students had to buy a second computer saving nothing.

He still uses his laptop and this is year 5-6 on it. Just needed a new battery once. His laptop is better than anything the plant gave him or anyone there uses, so he is the favorite. Gets him all the extra work😆

Reactions: Y_K
The coupons comes and goes, just have to occasionally check the webpages, it usually range from 40%, 45%, or 50% off, it could be posted on one of the product group pages such as https://www.dellrefurbished.com/computer-workstation or on the coupons page https://www.dellrefurbished.com/coupons
There's a coupon for 48% off any dell precision laptop if anyone is interested 48% off any Dell Precision Laptop (exc. Hot Deals), free ground shipping. Use coupon code: PRECISION48 - Ends Mon. 6/10, 9 AM CT. There's some in stock with quadro rtx 5000 16gb graphics cards.

I wouldn't touch any of those on the Dell site. Either old pre-11th-generation chips or the notoriously overheating 35xx line there. Love them savings, but this is not where I'd 'save' on my child. (Aside from the general trend in the household that they need to earn their money for trinkets)

If you can wait, I'd wait for Precision 7560 or 7760 with at least i7-1180H, 32GB RAM, QHD screen and an appropriate video adapter for Solid Works kind of software. Since they do not make those with QHD you would be forced into UHD, plus extra battery packs.
Talented kids with original ideas will make do without any of that. They have powerful workstation on campus. That's a gaming computer under the "I need" guise. But if you insist, a ZBook Fury may be a good match for 5-7 grand.

Last edited:
I did not read any of the replies to this post, but I predict no one bothered to mention that suitability to run AI models and inference is imperative