Dixie Chopper B&S 27HP Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, yes I have looked through old threads to see if I can find the answer to my specific question; I can't.

Anyway, my dad is thinking about buying another zero turn mower, as our old one is worn out. Today he test drove a used 2010 Dixie Chopper. We like it a lot, and it's highly possible he's going to end up buying it.

So, here's my question: It's another ~ just under 3 inch (give or take) filter with 3/4" threads. Indeed there are a lot of filters that size to choose from, however, in comparing them, I found one small issue that I'm unsure of. The gasket size. Currently, the filter that is on the 27HP Briggs is a Napa 7035 (same as Wix 57035). I checked the area surrounding the filter for room for a longer filter of the same gasket and thread size. I know that a Napa 1056/Wix 51056 filter will fit.

However, both of those filters are over 10 dollars. All the cross references I've checked lead me to either the Wix 51348, or the Wix 51394. Apparently through looking at old threads, most people here have said that those two filters do cross reference just fine. But, only the 51348 has the exact same gasket size as the Napa 7035 that is on the mower currently. It has: ID: 2.430 inch; OD: 2.734. The other filter, the 51394, has: ID: 2.173 inch; OD: 2.475 inch.

My question also takes in mind that the 51348 is just at 3 inches long, but the 51394 is about half an inch longer. I know that a 3 inch long filter will fit, but I'm unsure if I'd have enough room for half an inch more...

So, essentially, I'm asking you all if the small discrepancy in gasket size, which is about a quarter of an inch, is too much; will the Wix 51348 gasket size fit in place of the Napa 7035/1056 gasket size?

If so, the 51348 is half the price, and I'd buy it. If not, I'll just buy the more expensive 7035 or 1056 filter.

Thanks in advance.

~ Triton

Don't cross reference the filter that is on it now - it could be incorrect and just thrown on because it fits and that's what the shop had available.

Cross reference the OE Briggs filter. Should be in your manual or you can get it via the engine numbers. Just run the comparable Fram, Purolotor, Wix filter that is in the $5 range. If you are going to run a $10 filter, might as well run the OE Briggs filter.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Don't cross reference the filter that is on it now - it could be incorrect and just thrown on because it fits and that's what the shop had available.

Cross reference the OE Briggs filter. Should be in your manual or you can get it via the engine numbers. Just run the comparable Fram, Purolotor, Wix filter that is in the $5 range. If you are going to run a $10 filter, might as well run the OE Briggs filter.

Actually, I did cross reference the OE Briggs filter to make sure the Napa filter on it now is the same size. It is. Secondly, I doubt the OE filter is as good as a Wix/Napa filter.

Originally Posted By: rrounds
Have you looked at Baldwin filters?
I find over 1 doz. filters that fit your needs.

ROD

I don't want a Baldwin filter.

I'll restate my original question...

Will a filter with an ID: 2.173" OD: 2.475" gasket fit in place of a filter with an ID: 2.430" OD: 2.734" gasket?

You would have to take off the filter to see if the baseplate is small enough. I would use their look up guide for your specific Dixie Chopper model, and use what they say, whatever brand filter. I would cut open the one on there too, to get an idea of how dirty the filter gets over time, if you buy it of course. I am on an easy opening ADBV kick now, so I would take a look how easy the flap opens and allows oil to flow on a smaller engine like that, with a smaller oil pump.

Originally Posted By: traversed
I RUN THE NAPA 1394 with zero issues on my ztr 27hp briggs....

Thank you! Now I know I can use it without issue.

~ Triton

So, I went and took a quick look and some half*** measurements of the area around the filter on the Dixie for some first hand clarification. I wanted to see how much room length-wise I had...

Then, I went to O'Reilly to then compare the 51394 to the 51348 in both hands. It was obvious then to me which filter was the same diameter as the OEM filter (and the Napa 7035 and 1056); the 51348. The 51394 is indeed smaller in not just gasket size, but also the diameter of the can itself, as well as length.

Having remembered that the Microgard filters are made by Wix, I just bought the Microgard 51348, as it was cheaper than the Wix.

Originally Posted By: traversed
I RUN THE NAPA 1394 with zero issues on my ztr 27hp briggs....

Again, thanks for the clarification that the smaller filter does fit without issue. I just wanted to use the longest filter I could in the space available. I didn't know if half an inch difference in length between the 51394 and 51348 would matter or not; after taking measurements, I found out that the longer filter does fit, so that's why I bought the 51348.

Thanks,

~ Triton

By the way, sorry about not having caught my initial typo...

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
My question also takes in mind that the 51348 is just at 3 inches long, but the 51394 is about half an inch longer. I know that a 3 inch long filter will fit, but I'm unsure if I'd have enough room for half an inch more...

Correction:

The 51348 is the one that is longer, and does have OEM gasket size, as well as the same diameter of the can itself.

The 51394 is the smaller filter.

---

To anyone who may come across this thread in the future:

For the Briggs and Stratton 27.0 HP V-Twin engine (likely found on a variety of mowers and OPE):

OEM oil filter size:

Outside Diameter (In): 2.923 inches
Thread Size: 3/4 inch
Height (In): 2.305 inches
Anti-Drainback Valve Included: Yes
Gasket Inside Diameter (In): 2.430 inches
Gasket Outside Diameter (In): 2.734 inches
Gasket Thickness (In): 0.226 inches

OEM filter:

Briggs and Stratton 492932s

Direct cross reference match:

Napa/Wix 7035/57035 (2.305 inches long)

Longer cross reference matches:

Napa/Wix 1056/51056 (2.707 inches long)
Napa/Wix 1348/51348 (3.404 inches long)

Other cross reference matches:

Napa/Wix 1394/51394* (2.977 inches long)

*Outside diameter is 0.236 inches less than OEM size; gasket OD is 0.259 inches less than OEM size, but the filter will still seal properly on the mount, and thus may be used without issue.

Best Regards,

~ Triton

Looks like you picked the right one
smile.gif
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3540101/Re:_More_oil_filter_pron/bordo#Post3540101

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back