Divorcing Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about divorcing Mobil 1 5W-30 and trying a different oil in my 2004 Tacoma with the 5VZ-FE. What are some good synthetic or even synthetic blends that I could try out for a 5k OCI. I'm thinking Pennzoil Syn Blend but I have not heard anything about it. Also my fellow Tacoma drivers, tell me what you use!

Anything on sale, including Mobil 1 5W-30
laugh.gif

Valvoline has a nice rebate for $7 on their synthetic products at their site for taking a survey...

No turbo no direct injection, no need for synthetic at 5k mile oci (heck, at 5k, many are fine using conventional even with d.i. and turbo) so PSB should be more than enough.

But why the split with M1?

Last edited:
Mobil Super 5000 $13 at wally world

Its not a synthetic nor blend but I wouldn't hurt to use it. Many will argue 5k is reasonable OCI for conventional oil. Been doing 5k virtually my whole life with no problem.

I've been doing 5k OCI on conventional with lots of slow varnish and sludge accumulation in all my vehicles. 70% highway 30% city.

Switched to Syn at 7k intervals now.

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063
I'm thinking about divorcing Mobil 1 5W-30 and trying a different oil in my 2004 Tacoma with the 5VZ-FE. What are some good synthetic or even synthetic blends that I could try out for a 5k OCI. I'm thinking Pennzoil Syn Blend but I have not heard anything about it. Also my fellow Tacoma drivers, tell me what you use!

Is there a problem with the Mobil 1?

Why split with Mobil 1? Maybe the advertising is getting boring. Lots of people choose Mobil 1 because of the advertising. They don't need details. They might be disappointed to discover that it's just another good oil and there are many other choices out there as well. Remember years ago when people said you'll never go wrong by choosing IBM?

Mobil 1 is fine for 90% of the engines on the road. It's when you get to the ultra high performance world and you beat the [censored] out of the car all day, everyday, you may want to go a higher end oil like Amsoil. You can't go wrong with Amsoil Signature Series oil and the Amsoil EA filters for the ultimate in protection. I am running Mobil 1 now, but will most likely switch to Amsoil on my next oil change.

Originally Posted By: Tmiller3063

Why are you considering a change? Price? Oil performance? Bored?

Oil analysis for one. I compared Mobil 1 to Amsoil in that way. Amsoil can go much farther between oil changes over Mobil 1 and protects the engine better while you go the further distance. Better wear protection with Amsoil.

While Mobil 1 is good oil, Amsoil is excellent. Research the two. There have been a lot of Mobil 1 complaints and rumors of ingredient changes. Amsoil seems to be the gold standard of motor oil these days.

Last edited:
Amsoil is a fine product but I consider the Nissan GT-R pretty ultra-performing. M1 0W-40 is the factory fill in that application. Not to mention others.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Oil analysis for one. I compared Mobil 1 to Amsoil in that way. Amsoil can go much farther between oil changes over Mobil 1 and protects the engine better while you go the further distance. Better wear protection with Amsoil.

While Mobil 1 is good oil, Amsoil is excellent. Research the two. There have been a lot of Mobil 1 complaints and rumors of ingredient changes. Amsoil seems to be the gold standard of motor oil these days.

28.gif

35.gif

As already eluded to by many, most any conventional will get you 5k. If you dont want to go with a conventional, try out a few blends like MaxLife or Synblend.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Mobil 1 is fine for 90% of the engines on the road. It's when you get to the ultra high performance world and you beat the [censored] out of the car all day, everyday, you may want to go a higher end oil like Amsoil.

Lots of high end street cars and race cars running Mobil 1. Some of them even spec Mobil 1 from the factory. I am not sure your argument is valid.

robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back