Oil recommendations please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What oil recommendations do you have for my 2004 Tacoma 3.4l v6. I been using mobil 5w30 super 5000 blend. It's just to noisy. I want a quiet oil. Was thinking about castrol magnatec 5w30 I read here that is a quiet oil. Thanks guys

Try the Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. It's basically Mobil 1 but with the additives Toyota specifies (has more Moly, etc.). Your local dealer should have it cheaper than you can get it online. Mine has it just over 4 bucks a quart.

You could ask anyone and get a different answer from almost each person. At this point, I would just get any oil from the top companies. Maybe get the premium version that they offer. I run the Mobil 1 extended performance in my car. I am even considering trying out the Toyota Genuine Motor Oil from the dealer. They claim it has a "special additive package" but no one knows what the difference is - if there is any.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by double vanos
Using it in all my Ecoboost stuff here and it's doing well. If you want a slightly thicker 5w30 QSUD is on the thick side of the 30wt range.

+1 Agree with this.

Every car is different, and every oil is different, so you just have to experiment and see what works..

I have always found M1 to increase noise at idle, and Redline has always reduced noise at idle.

40 is quieter than 30 (all else being equal)

Try using the wooden spoon stethoscope method to locate exactly where the noise is coming from because the best oil in the world won't quiet ticking injectors or relays.

Originally Posted by madeej11
Using it in all my Ecoboost stuff here and it's doing well. If you want a slightly thicker 5w30 QSUD is on the thick side of the 30wt range.

+1 Agree with this.

+2

My 97 Tacoma with same engine sounds very smooth with Chevron Supreme or Castrol or Pennzoil.

Originally Posted by hektor
What oil recommendations do you have for my 2004 Tacoma 3.4l v6. I been using mobil 5w30 super 5000 blend. It's just to noisy. I want a quiet oil. Was thinking about castrol magnatec 5w30 I read here that is a quiet oil. Thanks guys

0W40. I'm currently running Castrol. My Colorado is quieter today, than anytime in it's past 15 years.

Go with the Castrol Magnetic as you originally thought would be good. I bought a bunch of it on sale and it seems to work just as good as any other premium synthetic that I have used in the past 20 plus years.

You have a 3.4L that is noisy? My 20 year old, 258K mile, 3.4L is very quiet. You have a mechanical issue that needs to be checked/fixed. Probably valve lash if the noise is in the top end of the engine.

Originally Posted by Char Baby

Originally Posted by madeej11

+1 Agree with this.

+2

+3

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Try the Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. It's basically Mobil 1 but with the additives Toyota specifies (has more Moly, etc.). Your local dealer should have it cheaper than you can get it online. Mine has it just over 4 bucks a quart.

Wow, $4/quart is cheap. To think $7/quart on Amazon, I thought was cheap for what it was.

Originally Posted by hektor

If you want to stick with a blend try Valvoline Daily Protection. In Texas you could run that in a 10w30.

I think I'm gonna make the switch to synthetic. Since most of my driving is stop trip, stop and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back