Divorcing Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DustyBones
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Like the try it a few OCIs,

That statement goes with ANY oil when there is initial consumption be it a Castrol, Mobil or Pennzoil product. Brand change consumption has been observed on EVERY brand of oil on here.

ignore the extra wear numbers in your UOA,

A UOA now tells us wear does it?

the noise will go away (aka you get used to it and the brain cancels it out).

Or the noise is just in your head
smirk.gif

I hear it all the time, the top end noise, and the excuses the Harley riders I know who make them, to keep filling the motor with it.

Or you hear it because you want to hear it, you after all, grew up a "Castrol guy", have to find fault with the competing product right?

Just my observations. Nothing more. I will not buy it, and if someone gave it to me, I would take it to the recycler and 50% of it will end up in next gen after the 50% of it that is bad is left out. True story.

That's ridiculous. You'd throw out perfectly good oil for no reason other than you have some irrational, baseless hatred for it? But no, your views aren't jaded at all and these claims of yours are all just factual observations right?
smirk.gif

Guess the rest of us who have never experienced these incredible issues that you've had must have just been lucky right? Same with all the factory race teams, LeMans cars.....etc. Good Lord, I'm shocked at how the products can pass all the extensive manufacturer testing given how bad you seem to think they are.

Was way too easy to find this.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2233731

High(er) iron numbers. Viscosity is thicker than when it went in. Same thing as their V twin oil. Higher iron numbers and oil gets thicker.

No thanks, I will not buy oil based on advertisements or to make members of an online forum happy.

I only stated my observations. The UOA wear numbers and thickening oil proof is posted right here.

Like I said, just imagine the hate if Castrol showed increased wear compared to M1 and got thicker with more miles.

I know why it gets thicker. Do you? If you do lets say my CHM got thicker during my OCI, lets ignore the other facts on that other brand for now. Since my oil does not get thicker it will be a hypothetical explaination. Explain to me why my oil will get thicker through chemistry.

I am not saying it is bad, all I am saying is I will never use it based on first of all, experience. Then through observation of others running it and the UOA evidence posted here. Seems like a solid explaination as to why I will never use.

I am happy you are happy with it. Rock on.

You're kidding, right?

I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. A '96 Jeep Cherokee with about 250K on it has had M1 almost exclusively and is still doing quite well and runs as quiet as any 4.0L with that many original miles. Except for a water pump, it's completely original inside. Not so much as a valve cover removed.

I once had a '92 4-cyl. Ranger with a cold weather start-up tick with every conventional I tried. No such tick with M1 (which was probably thinner at colder temps).

But I've had other engines that seemed noisier with M1, mostly new GM products from the '80s and 90's.

I still use M1 occasionally, mostly if it happens to be on sale when I'm looking for oil. I neither steer clear of it nor seek it out. These days, I use mostly conventional because I don't like extended OCIs, synthetics are not needed for my vehicles, and I cannot with any certainty detect a difference between synthetic and conventional in them. If anything, they seem at least as quiet on conventional.

Oddly enough, I use GC in my Grasshopper (air cooled Kohler). I mow about 4 heavily wooded acres and it sees hard use. After 11 years it runs like new, consumes little to no oil in a season, and has remained quiet. My father's slightly older JDeere with a very similar engine has been run on a mix of lower HTHS oils and is rougher and noisier.

There's no need to bash Mobil 1 engine oil. It's a proven product with a great marketing program and is the factory fill for many expensive cars. But so far none of that makes it better than many other oils on the market. Every member here that uses Mobil 1 is like an experiment in one, that is their situation is unique. Oil analysis is a tool to analyze your situation and not an end all solution to picking the best oil. In fact there's no need to pick the best oil. With so many good choice you just pick one and you're done. It doesn't matter much why you pick, advertising, a sale, a factory spec or someone's advice. It's more about avoiding mistakes, skipping oil changes, using an inappropriate oil or having whoever changes you oil charge you for services not rendered.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
It is quite impression how so much Wrong can be contained in a single post.

Bravo new guy!

Are you sure this is a "new" guy? Four posts in and his posting content is almost the same as an former member.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
the anecdotes tossed around here are utterly ridiculous.

I just have to agree with this.

+2

the anecdotes tossed around here are utterly ridiculous.

I just have to agree with this.

+1

I've mentioned this a few times in other threads, but I've never noticed a different in performance or sound between different oils, brands, conventional/synthetic, grades, etc. in all of the cars I've maintained. None of the owners of any of the vehicles have ever commented on it running smoother/rougher/louder/etc. with any of the oils I've used, either. I've used many different types of oil and rarely the same oil twice in a row. I just buy what's on sale or what I'm in the mood for at the time.

I just realized that this might be considered another anecdote. D'oh!
33.gif

I should add that the only differences I've ever noticed is between high mileage oils and how quickly certain brands will slow down leaks (or not at all).

[...some of the anecdotes tossed around here are utterly ridiculous.

+ 1000 - according to some posts M1 is the devil's urine. It makes every engine on the planet noiser than every other oil and anything lighter than 10W-30 will cause engine destruction in 3..2..1

Originally Posted By: Hollow
It is quite impression how so much Wrong can be contained in a single post.

Bravo new guy!

Are you sure this is a "new" guy? Four posts in and his posting content is almost the same as an former member.

What this should tell you is not everyone has the same experience with M1. Instead yall think it is the same one person. As if there is only one person in the entire world who observes M1 being less than ordinary oil, and that one person only is here.

Do some research into the thickening, the extra wear, the extra noise, the instant consumption. Right here! No need to go find M1oilsucks.com. All the actual info you need is right here. So then one must ask why so many, like I said earlier defend it so emotionally? Ahhhh, just answered my own question. There is an emotional attachment to it. Maybe them M1 decals on the fenders, windows and bumper are too tough to get off and you feel obligated to continue to use it. Cool beans! Keep on rocking it. Who cares. All I am saying to the OP, not the fanbois is to not feel bad about moving up to something better.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Oil analysis for one. I compared Mobil 1 to Amsoil in that way. Amsoil can go much farther between oil changes over Mobil 1 and protects the engine better while you go the further distance. Better wear protection with Amsoil.

UOAs will tell you which would be condemned sooner, but not which protects better when still serviceable.

Nothing wrong with trying something new. Just not for the overly emotionally charged reasons that are utterly 'fetch far'.

Do some research into the thickening, the extra wear, the extra noise, the instant consumption.

How does one research this "extra wear" outside of teardowns?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Nothing wrong with trying something new. Just not for the overly emotionally charged reasons that are utterly 'fetch far'.

Or far fetched such as erroneous Castrol camshaft wear marketing claims.

Was way too easy to find this.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2233731

Guess you haven't read this:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis/

High(er) iron numbers.

And that means what exactly? That's the thing, you don't know. See my pictures? Those are real engines.... apart. Immaculate bores, factory compression and a cam that looks like new means a lot more to me than a few PPM in a UOA.

Viscosity is thicker than when it went in.

The oil was within grade, this just shows it didn't shear. Why is that a problem?

Same thing as their V twin oil. Higher iron numbers and oil gets thicker.

So the oil doesn't shear and the UOA thing again. Gotcha. Have you torn into any of these engines to examine them or are we going by UOA's and acoustics here?

No thanks, I will not buy oil based on advertisements or to make members of an online forum happy.

I'm not asking you to buy it. My issue is with these rather baseless claims you seem to be making about the product with no hard data to back them. If you had just said you didn't like it because you have a personal issue with the product, that's fine. I don't use Castrol products for the same reason but you don't see me on here bashing them.

I only stated my observations. The UOA wear numbers and thickening oil proof is posted right here.

We obviously have very different definitions of what constitutes proof
smirk.gif

Like I said, just imagine the hate if Castrol showed increased wear compared to M1 and got thicker with more miles.

Actually, oxidative thickening has been an issue with a few oils in the past, particularly with a few AMSOIL products and as long as it doesn't go out of grade nobody really cares. It is excessive shearing that gets people freaked out.

And people have had an increase of various metals on a whole host of different oils on this site over the years (there are a few "high Fe" UOA's on Pennzoil Ultra in the UOA section right now) and you'll get the usual Chicken Little responses like you do with the M1 UOA's.

I know why it gets thicker. Do you? If you do lets say my CHM got thicker during my OCI, lets ignore the other facts on that other brand for now. Since my oil does not get thicker it will be a hypothetical explaination. Explain to me why my oil will get thicker through chemistry.

The usual reason for thickening is oxidation, but this also normally coincides with extended OCI's. The VII package, depending on the base oil blend used, can also be a contributing factor. IE, if you are using a heavier base oil blend and your VII's get beat up (something a bike sump for example is good at doing) you may observe the oil getting a little heavier than virgin.

Now you explain to me why you think your oil does NOT get thicker, why it doesn't shear, and why it isn't shearing and then oxidizing, bringing it back to close to the virgin viscosity
wink.gif

I am not saying it is bad,

Funny, that's not what your original post says. It pretty much spells out that you think it is an awful product, sold on hype that makes your engine sound like pots being tossed down a flight of stairs.

all I am saying is I will never use it based on first of all, experience. Then through observation of others running it and the UOA evidence posted here. Seems like a solid explaination as to why I will never use.

I am happy you are happy with it. Rock on.

I am happy with it too. As I said, we wouldn't be having this discussion if you had just said you don't like it for personal reasons and left it at that. It was all the anecdotal stuff that got my dander up.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Anything on sale, including Mobil 1 5W-30
laugh.gif

Valvoline has a nice rebate for $7 on their synthetic products at their site for taking a survey...

Such a good deal, why didn't you share with everyone?

Quote:
I'm not asking you to buy it. My issue is with these rather baseless claims you seem to be making about the product with no hard data to back them. If you had just said you didn't like it because you have a personal issue with the product, that's fine. I don't use Castrol products for the same reason but you don't see me on here bashing them.

No. I am not bashing M1. I am pointing out to the fans4life guys that M1 has some issues, and posted right here. I am pointing out many post the same exact observations I do with the product. It does not stand up across the board for everyone as it does the recreational oil changers.

A baseless claim would be I hate the way it smells. A well based claim is when the wife says the car runs like [censored] immediately after pouring it in. An immediate switch back and she is happy. That is not baseless, not in this household. You've no clue what would happen if I told her the fellas over at BITOG said give it a few OCIs and you will either get used to it or it will sludge up enough to kill the noise or whatever the reason may be. You want me to tell her to deal with a rough running, clicking car for 22,500 miles because BITOG says its the best thing for the car? Ooohhhh kaaaay. May work in a world with an open range full of unicorns, not around these parts.

No. I am not bashing M1.

No, your first post was clearly bashing the product, whether you want to admit it or not.

I am pointing out to the fans4life guys that M1 has some issues, and posted right here.

Sorry, that's not proof, at least not what you've posted.

I am pointing out many post the same exact observations I do with the product. It does not stand up across the board for everyone as it does the recreational oil changers.

Yes, and we could find those exact same observations for ANY product ever talked about on this site. You are talking about a bunch of neurotic guys that obsess about motor oil dude, think about that for a second!

A baseless claim would be I hate the way it smells. A well based claim is when the wife says the car runs like [censored] immediately after pouring it in.

Those are both baseless claims as they are both personal anecdotes with no actual scientific data behind them
wink.gif

An immediate switch back and she is happy. That is not baseless, not in this household.

Then your household, at least in respect to motor oil, has lower standards than this board.

You've no clue what would happen if I told her the fellas over at BITOG said give it a few OCIs and you will either get used to it or it will sludge up enough to kill the noise or whatever the reason may be.

My wife swore up and down that Redline 5w-30 dropped the mileage in half on the Expedition. It didn't. She just had a personal aversion to the product for whatever reason. I changed the oil and the mileage "magically" came back. She didn't make the same complaint when it had the much heavier Delvac 1 5w-40 in it, nor M1 0w-40.

I understand placating the wife. But lets not confuse that with actual scientific data.

You want me to tell her to deal with a rough running, clicking car for 22,500 miles because BITOG says its the best thing for the car? Ooohhhh kaaaay. May work in a world with an open range full of unicorns, not around these parts.

Did I post pictures of Unicorns earlier? I don't think I did. Those were real engines
wink.gif

It isn't my job to tell your wife anything. It is YOUR job to keep YOUR wife happy. But that doesn't have anything to do with this forum.

Go to Kendall's website, and look to see if there's a Kendall distributor in your area. If so, contact them and buy a case of Kendall GT-1 w/Liquid Titanium. From a distributor you generally get it for about $4 a quart for synthetic, and $3 a quart for semi-synthetic. Both should be able to go for 5k miles without issue.

You fans4life are kinda silly ya know.

Second reply. The fans4life club chimes in. Just like anyone who has a negative report let alone its just an almost average oil post.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1463726

Calling people names or giving them labels is just as silly. I use M1 because it works, just like I use AMSOIL, Redline, Royal Purple, Pennzoil....etc. They all work. I am also a fan of Castrol's gear oil. I'm not an oil bigot, any approved lubricant in the appropriate grade will perform as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back