Diver Watches with Numeral markers Recommendation <$750

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All, odd request but I’m looking to replace my trusty but crusty Citizen Nighthawk as a travel knock around watch.

I’m ideally trying to keep this under $500 since I travel a ton for work (my travel watches have battle scars) and already caught a bunch of **** from the Mrs for buying too many watches.

Now I know there are 4.7 billion diving watches but what I’m looking for is one with number markers and a rotational numeral bezel. Like this Glycine, the only thing I’m not sold on with that particular watch is the bracelet and I also don’t like the fact that Invicta now owns Glycine. Sapphire Crystal is a must (seems to knock out most Japanese watches under $1000). I’d also like either a jubilee style bracelet or steel mesh albeit that seems to be a stretch. Movement isn’t that important, I’d prefer a mechanical one but honestly quartz is probably a better fit for this application. Any suggestions? Perfectly happy with micro brands as well. I’ll probably go Tissot Seastar 1000 in the mesh bracelet and look at my phone for the time if I can’t find something with this dial configuration. I

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
Best sub $300 diver on the market. Orient Kamasu. I think that means barracuda in Japanese. I have the earlier version which was the Mako. Very reliable and beautiful watch.

1628198405809.jpg

Best sub $300 diver on the market. Orient Kamasu. I think that means barracuda in Japanese. I have the earlier version which was the Mako. Very reliable and beautiful watch.

View attachment 66023
Interestingly they make this in a pilots configuration where you have the 12, 3, 6, and 9 markers written out but am looking for every number to be written out on the dial. If that makes sense, just find those to be way easier to read. Those are some pretty sweet watches, was surprised you can get them sub $200.

I beat the crap out of my Orient Mako II on a daily basis. Often working on boats and underwater. For the price I don't think it can be beat.

Not a sapphire crystal but if that's truly a necessity, have it replaced with a sapphire. Mako II is the same case as the old Bulova Marine Star, which came with a sapphire crystal, so that option is available. I changed my beat up mineral crystal out for a sapphire at the first service.

I have a Submariner, two TAG divers and a few high end Seikos. Those are all fine watches, each have their place, but for daily wear the Orient is a better value than all of them.

Not a sapphire crystal but if that's truly a necessity, have it replaced with a sapphire. Mako II is the same case as the old Bulova Marine Star, which came with a sapphire crystal, so that option is available. I changed my beat up mineral crystal out for a sapphire at the first service.
FYI, the Mako USA model has sapphire crystal:

Finding a diver with all numbers spelled out is going to severely limit your options. The only one I can think of is Victorinox Maverick GS, but I'm not sure if they're still made.

241436.jpg
I have one of these. It has a quartz movement. It's my second Swiss Army watch. The first one lasted 20 years with daily use. Great watches, but this one is kind of heavy.

My Orient KingDiver has been a good watch. It has a mechanical movement. The stem has come loose again but I'm giving it some slack as it has just passed 50 Years.

Interestingly they make this in a pilots configuration where you have the 12, 3, 6, and 9 markers written out but am looking for every number to be written out on the dial. If that makes sense, just find those to be way easier to read. Those are some pretty sweet watches, was surprised you can get them sub $200.
I used to have an ORIENT can't recall the model loved it. maybe named submariner like Rolex

Hi All, odd request but I’m looking to replace my trusty but crusty Citizen Nighthawk as a travel knock around watch. ...
I’d prefer a mechanical one but honestly quartz is probably a better fit for this application. Any suggestions? Perfectly happy with micro brands as well.
The Zelos Mako fits your need, has a Miyota 9015 movement. My Bronze Mako has stainless steel case back and a thick rubber strap because you don't want copper on your skin, but they also have stainless steel (case & bracelet).
The Nodus Contrail also fits your need, also has a Miyota 9015 and a stainless steel bracelet.
I have each of these. They're durable, consistent, well made, look great.
Zelos and Nodus also have other models in your price range. The Nodus sector dive is less expensive but still has a sapphire crystal. Worth a look.
Check out the beans and bezels Youtube channel.
BTW, using my timegrapher I got the Miyota 9015 tracking to +/- 3 seconds per day. Slightly slow crown down, slightly fast face up, so you can keep it tracking perfectly to exact time by setting down in different positions overnight. It's an excellent mechanical movement.

I know the OP wants numerals. I don't find numerals very useful in a dive watch. They are not very legible and dot or baton markers are much easier to see. Numerals also clutter the dial. Here's a ridiculously low-priced at only $270, compressor style Dan Henry diver with internal, rotating timing bezel. It also has a sapphire crystal and it is 200m water resistant. It has a Seiko H 35 automatic movement, which is not exciting but reliable. Small enough to wear daily.

upload free images and get link

Finding a diver with all numbers spelled out is going to severely limit your options. The only one I can think of is Victorinox Maverick GS, but I'm not sure if they're still made.

241436.jpg
Wow!! Blast from the past, my first Swiss watch was a white dial, blue bezel Maverick ii , got a great grey market deal on it in college when Victorinox changed up the graphics. I loved that watch, broke it, then Got lost in a move, I think I may buy this one, prefer mechanical but man thanks for the trip down memory lane. Would be cool to have it on my wrist as a reminder of fun days in college.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back