Disposing of used oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Getting rid of brake fluid is a problem for me. Our city has a once a year free disposal of hazardous products but mention brake fluid and their eye balls cage. I think I'm working on my third gallon of used brake fluid now and no help in site. Thought of just dropping it off some night next to the fence around Walmart'w waste oil tank. Or better yet, just toss em over and hope Walmart doesn't have a DOT bomb go off near the automotive department.
Glycols will break down within a week. Putting it on a gravel driveway is a good way to dispose of it.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
AAP takes it. I bring no more than 5 gallons at a time.

I do the same at Advance AP with no questions asked and dump it myself.

Walmart (at least here) wants you to sign your life away and they will dump in their own "good" time, so one may have to wait for over an hour before they get their containers back.

WMT is a PITA here too. AAP no problems at all, I just don't over do it and load them up with a bunch of it in one trip.

I have free on call home pickup for all types of hazardous waste including all automotive fluids and filters.

AAP and AZ are where I bring mine. At least my truck oil, I use my Scion oil as top off oil in the truck.
Filters go in the trash, but since I cut them open, not a lot of oil in them. I think I saw a can by the oil tank at AAP a while back that was for filters?

The current market value of used oil is ~1.25 a gallon. You aren't inconveniencing them at all by bringing used oil in.. I am not sure why they even have limits.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Getting rid of brake fluid is a problem for me. Our city has a once a year free disposal of hazardous products but mention brake fluid and their eye balls cage. I think I'm working on my third gallon of used brake fluid now and no help in site. Thought of just dropping it off some night next to the fence around Walmart'w waste oil tank. Or better yet, just toss em over and hope Walmart doesn't have a DOT bomb go off near the automotive department.

Firestone accept brake, transmission, power steering, and "hydraulic" fluid. No oil filters though, so I take those to Walmart.

I posted an Earth911 link for finding recycling centers earlier. It's pretty easy to get stuff recycled these days.
http://search.earth911.com/location/Q1RQ...list_filter=all

My work has a place where I can bring my oil, so that works out for me pretty darn well.

Friends I know say back in the "old days" their grandfathers used to park over a storm drain on the street and do their oil change right over it. Undo the plug, let the oil flow down the storm drain and be done with it lol. Same for other fluid changes they said, anitfreeze was changed out once a year and down the drain it went
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: Oilied
My work has a place where I can bring my oil, so that works out for me pretty darn well.

Friends I know say back in the "old days" their grandfathers used to park over a storm drain on the street and do their oil change right over it. Undo the plug, let the oil flow down the storm drain and be done with it lol. Same for other fluid changes they said, anitfreeze was changed out once a year and down the drain it went
crazy.gif

Maybe not down a storm drain, but I remember one coolant label that said to properly dispose of used coolant, which I included in a sanitary sewer if allowed by law.

I called up my municipal utility, which handled water delivery and sewers if it was OK. I was told no, but that the system could handle small amounts of almost anything, and that a couple of gallons of used coolant wouldn't be a blip. I'm not sure if the employee just liked giving out too much information or if it was a hint to just do it. I waited for a hazardous waste pickup event.

I burn mine with the trash. Keeps flying insects down. I'll paint the wood trailer deck a couple times a year with it too.

Originally Posted By: cronk
Up north its easy to get rid of, I put an ad on Craigslist for free used oil. I usually get 3 or 4 calls from folks with waste oil furnaces and its gone by the end of the day.
Other than that, take it 2 or 3 gallons at a time to local parts stores.

GREAT IDEA- I'm going to do the same once I get 20 or so gallons together
Steve

I may put an free ad in the local trader paper. I have 2 - 55 gallon drums of used oil on hand that would be great for someone with a shop heater or similar.

In my state, crushed oil filters that may have some remaining oil scrapyard near me takes. All my used oil my friend with waste oil boiler uses. The filters I cut and post I take to our Safety Kleen filter dumpster at work
smile.gif

Usually Wal-Mart, but any quick lube or parts store will take it because they have to in NY. Not sure if this is still the case but a local refinery called Noco used to pick it up and use it to heat their buildings in winter, I think some gets recycled now...

Mix it 50/50 with Diesel fuel and used it as a nice wood stain/sealer. This is on cedar with Castrol Edge 5W-20 out of Mom's Jeep. The board in the center is untreated for reference.

Thanks for all the replies people and thought I would share how I disposed of my used oil. So I ended up having alot more than I thought. After cleaning and organizing my shop Saturday there sit all this used oil in everything from quart bottles to 5 gallon buckets with most being in the 5 quart containers. Now all this is not my oil. I let other family and people use it but majority is min . I maintsin several vehicle and 2 traktors ..I backed my truck up and loaded up about 30 gallon not really knowing where I was going but several of you had mentioned aurozone and others that usually would only 5 gallons or so. So I'm about a mile from autozone and coming up on (brand new)napa), advance, and O'Reilly's so for some reason I decide to pull in advance. Wasnt busy at all and I walk in and tell a fellow what I had. He said yeah we got a bend we put it in and said he would come out and get it. When we get to truck he realizes it's more than he expected. So I'm thinking this ain't good. I ask him how much they can take and to my surprise he says how much ever the tank will hold. So we loaded up 2 buggies and here we go. Jug by jug went into the bend. I'm happy as all get out when I leave and very surprised. But still plenty of used oil at my shop because never really expected to get rid of what I took first. So sunday evening I'm still working around the shop and decide what the heck. I loaded up the rest which was probably 40 gallon and took off. I stopped by the new napa to pick on them but no deal they don't take used oil. I decided to go to O'Reilly and ask the 2 guys at the counter (which are doing nothing). They said their bend was full but might could hold 5 gallon. I back around and take 5 gallon in and same type bend as advance. I poured 5 gallon and the bend was showing empty. And it was empty. But smart butt dude said that's enough and said no one brings used oil in here to dispose. I said well I just go dump the rest in the creek. He didn't care. This guy just rubbed me wrong. Really strange acting. So back to advance (all this stores are all together not a building between them. Different people working but not one bit of problem. I took all to back and dumped it the tank. Oh and all the empty containers we put into their garbage bend. All I got to say is thanks advance auto!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back