Dismayed With Pure One's

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a 6.5k run with a P1 filter I cut it open to have a look and the bottom metal end cap fell off in my hand.Upon further inspection there was no black glue thats used to seal the ends of the media to the end cap on the end cap proving to me the end cap never was adhered to the element.Im hoping there was no oil flowing between the end cap and the filter element as the spring was putting pressure on the end cap but thats a guess on my part.Seems their QC is lacking.This doesn't make me feel comfortable using them if its a roll of the dice if your going to get one that was put together correctly. I bought two of them at that time so went to the second one that was still in the box to inspect it and here is the yellow grip paint on the inside of the gasket area where the oil flows in and out of the filter. Ive read about this problem before on this forum but was the first time I encountered it, again a QC problem that Purolator isnt doing its job on.Will not use that filter so will cut it open to see what I find, my opinion has changed on Purolator oil filters which before I felt was one of the best on the market. DD

Originally Posted By: dinkydau
After a 6.5k run with a P1 filter I cut it open to have a look and the bottom metal end cap fell off in my hand.Upon further inspection there was no black glue thats used to seal the ends of the media to the end cap on the end cap proving to me the end cap never was adhered to the element.

If there is no black glue at all, then obviously that was a manufacturing issue. If there is black glue, then sometimes it might release from the metal end cap if you pulled on the end cap with some force.

Got some photos? ... post 'em up.

What's the date code on the end of the filter, and does your 2nd one have the same date code?

I'd contact Purolator and let them know.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/pages/ContactUs.aspx

Oil pressure pushed the endcaps toward the media, not away from it, but no it shouldn't fall off by any means.
frown.gif

As you implied, just because the glue wasn't adhered to the endcap upon dissection doesn't necessarily mean there would be an oil bypass as long the leaf spring was functioning as designed firmly holding the media core. Might not prove that it wasn't adhered when assembled either. Could see where it might be disconcerting though.

As for overspray, based on majority postings now, most of the early issues seems to have been solved. But, always good to inspect any filter before purchase.

Used many P1's and never had either issue, that said, as with any mass produced assembly line product, errors can happen. And as a disclaimer to that comment, it's consistent with comments I've made with other branded filters when possible defect pics have been posted here.

I was getting interested in Puro lately but the paint overspray was bothering me a bit...

I still can't find a fault with the Wix I have been using, other than slightly less media due to the bypass setup.

I would really like to find a full syn media filter that isn't 16$ a pop though, and Wix isn't giving me that option even if I change vehicles to a CR-V in the Spring (same filter as the Fit).

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
After a 6.5k run with a P1 filter I cut it open to have a look and the bottom metal end cap fell off in my hand.Upon further inspection there was no black glue thats used to seal the ends of the media to the end cap on the end cap proving to me the end cap never was adhered to the element.

If there is no black glue at all, then obviously that was a manufacturing issue. If there is black glue, then sometimes it might release from the metal end cap if you pulled on the end cap with some force.

Got some photos? ... post 'em up.

What's the date code on the end of the filter, and does your 2nd one have the same date code?

I'd contact Purolator and let them know.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/pages/ContactUs.aspx
+1 on that-if you contact Purolator they will likely fix you up with free filters!

After a 6.5k run with a P1 filter I cut it open to have a look and the bottom metal end cap fell off in my hand.

Me thinks FRAM is onto something with fibre end caps don't y'all think?

Hope this comes thru - I be new at this DD
100_0806_zpsef4938d0.jpg

Well, obviously the glue it there. So did you have to pull some on the end cap for it to separate, or did it just fall off by itself?

Originally Posted By: KevGuy

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: KevGuy

crackmeup2.gif

I know this was a joke but the fram video did say how this was better. Maybe it isnt a bad thing? I really dont know.

No did not have to pull on it at all,fell right off. Like I said with the lack of glue on the end cap it was not glued on.
Im sure they would give me a free filter to replace it but what am I getting? Thats the point,I know it could have been one out of a thousand and maybe it isnt. Chevy sold me a piece of junk once and its the last one they have sold me! I dont plan on using Purolators anymore.
Yes kevguy I went to a fram. ULTRA that is!
DD

No did not have to pull on it at all,fell right off. Like I said with the lack of glue on the end cap it was not glued on.
Im sure they would give me a free filter to replace it but what am I getting? Thats the point,I know it could have been one out of a thousand and maybe it isnt. Chevy sold me a piece of junk once and its the last one they have sold me! I dont plan on using Purolators anymore.
Yes kevguy I went to a fram. ULTRA that is!
DD

It looks like there was plenty of glue ... it just didn't stick to the metal very well. It could have been stuck OK when new, and then gave up sometime during use from the heat, etc. Sure, it's not supposed to do what you saw, but I have seen a few other filters do this exact same thing. Since the leaf spring pressure was holding it all together, I doubt there was much oil leakage past that area.

BTW ... the Ultra also has metal end caps with glue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back