Discussion: Do We WAY Overthink Oil Choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
oil changed every 1-2 years.

LOL...gotta love it.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Thanks...I thought it was a good discussion to, thus the post. I know it's a "duh" sort of question, but I thought it might drive some discussion.

Or some more overthinking perhaps?

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
I think we all know the answer to this

You're absolutely correct.

Even at our level of obsessiveness, this is all you need to do:

1. Do some research on whatever vehicle you own so as to understand any issues or areas of special attention.
2. Pick a good oil, run for manufacturer OCI, and get an analysis to check for proper system operation (air filtration leakage, coolant leakage, etc.). Make adjustments accordingly.
3. Go have fun with family and friends.

Oh yeah, It's way over-thunk here! It's a hobby to a lot here I believe, and the discussions are usually fun. I think ANY car in the world that gets some fresh oil and a new filter every 5000-7000 miles is saying, 'OH THANK YOU, thank you, THANK YOU!'

I used to before. Now it's just down to two oils for me: M1 0W-40 or the Castrol in my signature. I buy whatever is cheaper.

yes, methinks that most BITOGers are way over their head re: oil choice, yadda, yadda.

Things that I think way overthink:

(1) oil choice: the fancy of boutique oil, oil of GpIII or higher for utilitarian automobiles, frequent, if not unnecessary OCI, and the neverending discussions (and some vengeful correspondences over certain subjects such as certain fuel and oil additives, mixed with conspiracy theory and 2nd(or3rd) hand hearsays from rockingchair mechs, backyard scientists, etc.

(2) the ever discussions of oil filter choice: certain so-n-so brand supposedly filters better than the others, etc.

(3) there's always those who constantly seeking a larger oil filter (than OE factory engine designated ones), etc.

.....and the list goes on and on....

*grin*

Q.

Do we over think? Absolutely!

But call me crazy, I am certain that my cars run better on certain manufacturer of oils. In my almost 30 years of driving I've only used conventional oils. I have found that the wife's GM runs better on Quaker State Advanced Durability and my Chrysler prefers Valvoline WB.

Do I think my car will last longer or benefit from long term use of certain oils.... Of course not, but I do get better feedback from my motor from certain oils.

Call me crazy.

Originally Posted By: Climb14er
Some posters here give the impression that their vehicle actually has feelings.

I showed this post to my car and it got really upset and now it's not talking to me.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
This has become more of a hobby for me than anything else. I enjoy analyzing every aspect of my auto maintenance and being fastidious about it. My old Subaru Forester, hunk of junk that it was, was a blast to test oils in. Some ran quiet, some ran loud, some burned faster than others. I must have run at least 10-12 different oils in it.

Yes, we overthink things. That being said, we are pushing for the bleeding edge of fluid and maintenance quality. If someone who used to change synthetic oil every 3k miles gets up to a safe interval of 10-15k then there is an economic benefit as well.

So, yes, we over analyze. For those who don't they can keep changing syn at 3k and never realizing that they have fluid in their transmission.

Speaking of transmission's, you using DW-1? Just curious if you are going to switch out?

I like when my customers want the most expensive synthetic oil change, but then when checking the transmission fluid I notice it's dark brown or gritty ... but no, when I recommend a service i'm just trying to upsell them ... oh well lol

We do overthing oil.... As for the comment you have a honda that was so true at one time now not as much we see many honda engines at my engine shop these days, years back not so many.

You can register your new Accord for both the QS and Pennzoil engine warranty programs.
This will gain you twenty dollar MIRs on jugs of QSUD and PP, so you'll get two cheap oil changes.
I did this when I bought my '12 Accord.
QSUD 0W-20 remains on clearance at some Walmarts for $17.00/jug.
You can also keep your eyes open for deals on the high VI OEM labeled oils.
I picked up forty quarts of Idemitsu API SM HGMO from a fellow member at what I felt was a reasonable price for the oil.
I recently bought eleven quarts of TGMO API SM for forty dollars from a seller on CL and I often see TGMO 0W-20 on CL.
There are many options for your Accord and all of them will work well and enable the engine to last as long as you care to keep the car, however long that might be.
Based upon what I've seen in the UOA section, Honda apparently developed a good DI implementation. One of the reasons I deceided on a '12 over a '13 was that I wanted to avoid DI. I also wanted to avoid the CVT. There were also about $2500.00 reasons in favor of a new '12 over a new '13.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama

I showed this post to my car and it got really upset and now it's not talking to me.

Time to get tough. No fuel for a week. That'll teach it to act up.

No. Armed with BITOG innuendo, hearsay, facts, statistical analysis, belief systems and a dash of logic I now know I’m making solid selections.

Well I always refer to my boat with a 'she' or 'her' lest the waterways have their unseemly way with her.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back