Discount Tire Direct Impresses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought 4 yokos about 6 weeks ago, after 4 weeks the car started to vibrate at any speed. After a couple rotations and me getting the XC aligned at the dealer(voluntarily) Discount Tire Direct replaced all 4 and upgraded me to a better set of yoko, without any hassle. The branches have different prices than the website, but they'll match if asked, or you can get them shipped to you(free shipping).

Thanks for the tip on Discount Tire's web site. I remember them from when I lived in Michigan a long, long time ago. They seem to have some good prices and the website is super fast. You gotta love free shipping.

I found some Yokohama Avid V4S 225/60R/16 V rated tires for $86 a piece with a $25 rebate if you buy four. I just paid $500 for my set of Yokohamas for another car I have. Even $100 for mountiong and balancing that saves me $80. Only thing is with the set I bought locally, I get free tire rotation every 6000 miles, I can't remember if they do free lifetime balancing too.

I'm not sure what you get when you buy mailorder tires and have someone local put them on. I'm thinking I'm better off in the long run with a local place that I can come to if I have problems and for regular rotaion/maintenance.

You can buy from Discount Tire Direct and take the tires to one of their Discount Tire Stores and they will mount them free. They do charge for valve stems and balancing though... you can purchase a onetime or lifetime balance.

I checked my tire pressure for the first time today, since having the YK520's put on and all 4 were underinflated by 16psi. It looks like Discount Tire automagically put in 35psi, irregradless of the 51psi rating indelibly printed on the tire. Same thing happened with the set they replaced, except they overinflated by 3psi, disregarding the 32psi rating.

It's odd that a company that has so completely won me over on everything else missed on such a small technicality. It really is a small gripe, having considered how happy I am with the entire experience...will definitely do business with again...

[ July 25, 2006, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: gr8gatzby ]

I like going to the Disount Tire Retail Stores. I've bought several sets of tires from them and always been satisfied with their price and service. I can even kick the tires (if I want to) before I buy them.

quote:

Originally posted by gr8gatzby:
I checked my tire pressure for the first time today, since having the YK520's put on and all 4 were underinflated by 16psi. It looks like Discount Tire automagically put in 35psi, irregradless of the 51psi rating indelibly printed on the tire. Same thing happened with the set they replaced, except they overinflated by 3psi, disregarding the 32psi rating.

Tire pressure ratings stated on the tire are usually for maximum inflation. Check your vehicle placard or owners manual for the recommended tire pressure. If your new tires are not stock size, those numbers may be skewed.

You went from tires with a max rating of 32psi to tires with a max rating of 51psi?

the Yk420's they replaced were 32psi
the YK520's I have now are 51psi

the continental's i had on prior to these were 44psi

all 3 tires were the same size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back