Disabling FordPass & Telematics

jagdriver727

Site Donor 2021
If you own a 2019+ Ford product then it likely has FordPass, an integrated telematics system which allows you to start the engine from your phone but also does questionable things such as reporting to Ford your current location, odometer reading, even oil life and how much fuel is in the tank. Models with Sync "may" record voice commands and send those in as well.

I, for one, value my privacy and don't think my car's data is anyone's business but my own, so I decided to do away with it.

Step 1: Locate the telematics module. You'll have to locate the telematics module in your car, in this 2019 Escape it is under the trunk floor. In F-series trucks the modue is on the driver's side rear wall of the cab, behind the back seat.
IMG_1714.jpg

Step 2: Unplug the telematics module.
IMG_1712.jpg

There are three connectors, two for antennas and one for power/data.
IMG_1713.jpg

Step 3 (optional): Discard the telematics module, preferably into your Ford dealer's parking lot.

Well that wasn't hard!

I unplugged the OnStar thing in my Silverado but it didn't run without it. Think the Can-bus network ran through it.

So I plugged it back in but left the antenna unplugged.

Creeps me out a bit on my truck but I like the ability to start from my phone when at hockey games in the winter and coming out to a warm truck. If I’m going to commit a serious crime, I’ll leave my phone at home and follow your instructions so nobody can track me.

I wonder if there is a SIM in there you could stick into a phone and get service with?
there likely is one... in fact the IMEI is printed on the label... but the card is probably a bit "locked down" software wise...

and in removing this, youve also eliminated the possibility of over the air updates.. any software updates will have to be done manually, possibly by the dealer...

We are not alone............
Maybe you should unplug all the traffic cams that record your movements...or those pesky security cameras that are just about every where. There is a "RING DOORBELL CAMERA" that catches anyone walking/driving down our street-on just about every door in my upscale neighborhood.

Here is a better idea-leave the box alone so you get "over the air updates".

It logs all engine, transmission and emissions faults with Ford. The MIL light comes on and the problem is logged. Engine misfire and etc.

It logs all engine, transmission and emissions faults with Ford. The MIL light comes on and the problem is logged. Engine misfire and etc.
SO-does this mean that the code isn't stored anywhere else in the vehicle? So did the OP just create a problem in the name of "perceived privacy"? So the vehicle acts up-he takes it in and the dealer can't see any codes?

SO-does this mean that the code isn't stored anywhere else in the vehicle? So did the OP just create a problem in the name of "perceived privacy"? So the vehicle acts up-he takes it in and the dealer can't see any codes?
You will have to talk with someone with more knowledge on this. I kind of doubt it. I imagine that the codes are still stored onboard. But, whatever message that comes up on your phone is also sent to Ford. On my previous 2017 Escape, It let me know about a misfire. The dealership already had the information. Ford Pass alerted me and advised me to contact dealer for service. Results were a bad plug and coil pack on #3. Ford Pass is more detailed on my 2020 F-150. It will monitors my tire pressure. I know exactly which tire may be low. I get a monthly vehicle health report by email. There are many other features. If you don’t want to be tracked, leave your cell phone at home.

You will have to talk with someone with more knowledge on this. I kind of doubt it. I imagine that the codes are still stored onboard. But, whatever message that comes up on your phone is also sent to Ford. On my previous 2017 Escape, It let me know about a misfire. The dealership already had the information. Ford Pass alerted me and advised me to contact dealer for service. Results were a bad plug and coil pack on #3. Ford Pass is more detailed on my 2020 F-150. It will monitors my tire pressure. I know exactly which tire may be low. I get a monthly vehicle health report by email. There are many other features. If you don’t want to be tracked, leave your cell phone at home.
This is the ultimate truth. Another "thing" on this forum-and I don't know if it's caused by sheer boredom, or guys working from home and getting their usually 8 hours of work done in four or what. But lately there seems to be "solutions for problems" that don't exist.

Compared to the data our phones send to who-knows-where, whatever telematics this thing sends to Ford is nothing in comparison. Unplugging it seems like a waste of time.

For anyone who wants disable or delete Ford Pass, here is a link that will give you more insight.
Folks, do what you like. I’m keeping mine. You can go into your Ford Pass phone app and turn off the “My Journey” feature. Mine is off.

None of this telematics stuff bothers me. I do nothing wrong so they can track me all they want. However, they are most likely not tracking anyone as there simply are not enough resources on Earth to individually track the tens of millions of cars on the road with these systems. Does anyone really think there is someone in a command center somewhere telling the guy sitting next to them "Hey! That John Doe guy in Iowa just went to the Walmart on Highway 1! It must have been important because he was going 80mph!" That just doesn't happen.

If you own a 2019+ Ford product then it likely has FordPass, an integrated telematics system which allows you to start the engine from your phone but also does questionable things such as reporting to Ford your current location, odometer reading, even oil life and how much fuel is in the tank. Models with Sync "may" record voice commands and send those in as well.

I, for one, value my privacy and don't think my car's data is anyone's business but my own, so I decided to do away with it.

Step 1: Locate the telematics module. You'll have to locate the telematics module in your car, in this 2019 Escape it is under the trunk floor. In F-series trucks the modue is on the driver's side rear wall of the cab, behind the back seat.
View attachment 54799

Step 2: Unplug the telematics module.
View attachment 54797
There are three connectors, two for antennas and one for power/data.
View attachment 54798

Step 3 (optional): Discard the telematics module, preferably into your Ford dealer's parking lot.
I just wrapped my telematics module with tinfoil. The only downside is that the vehicle can no longer communicate with trans-medium UAPs.

None of this telematics stuff bothers me. I do nothing wrong so they can track me all they want. However, they are most likely not tracking anyone as there simply are not enough resources on Earth to individually track the tens of millions of cars on the road with these systems. Does anyone really think there is someone in a command center somewhere telling the guy sitting next to them "Hey! That John Doe guy in Iowa just went to the Walmart on Highway 1! It must have been important because he was going 80mph!" That just doesn't happen.
I surprised my son(who should know better) a few years ago with my BMW Connected app. My wife and I were in Baltimore and I was able to see that he had driven my wife’s i3 to a U of L football game. The satellite view almost had enough resolution to ID the row where it was parked.

I surprised my son(who should know better) a few years ago with my BMW Connected app. My wife and I were in Baltimore and I was able to see that he had driven my wife’s i3 to a U of L football game. The satellite view almost had enough resolution to ID the row where it was parked.

That is a case of you tracking your own property, which is one of the benefits of these systems. Now, if a BMW advisor had called you randomly and said "Excuse me MCompact, but we noticed your i3 left your house and is parked at the U of L game right now.", you probably would have grabbed a tinfoil hat and crawled under a park bench somewhere.

Back