Dirty rim on pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the rims on my pickup is dirty from rust dust from waiting too long to change brakes(steel on steel I guess). Have not found a way to get it off yet. I have heard people mention an acid wheel wash. Do you dismount the tire? Is there a downside to using an acid wheel wash? Unsure if the rim is a clear coated alloy or plain alloy. It's not a "steelie". Factory rim.

Originally Posted by Donald
One of the rims on my pickup is dirty from rust dust from waiting too long to change brakes(steel on steel I guess). Have not found a way to get it off yet. I have heard people mention an acid wheel wash. Do you dismount the tire? Is there a downside to using an acid wheel wash? Unsure if the rim is a clear coated alloy or plain alloy. It's not a "steelie". Factory rim.

Picture of said wheel? What you can do is dependent on what type of wheel it is and how it's coated.

I used Meguirs Hot Rims (Walmart) with an old scotchbrite pad and/or a parts brush, it removed the lacquer paint from the center caps. The wheels look really great as compared to the prior condition. A few years ago, I used Eagle-1 acid wheel cleaner (from Autozone) and it really worked well with a toilet brush and several applications.. in my experience, it takes a good bit of scrubbing to remove any brake dust crud on your wheels.. Some of the detailers use an Iron Remover, its worth checking into.

Try a concentrated mix of Simple Green and water in a spray bottle. That and an old 3M scotch scour/sponge from the kitchen.
It always cuts through brake dust and grime on my wheels -- quite like magic.
The mix is a wonderful stripper of grime, oil, grease, road film, brake dust, etc!
Rinse with water hose when done.

Must admit, it's a bit harsh on vehicle painted/finished surfaces, but it does cut through and remove all of the above mentioned.

A gallon jug of Simple Green from one of the warehouse stores can last a long time when used not only on vehicles, but all around the house.

Last edited:
I use an iron decon fluid with a plastic steel wool pad.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

If unsure start with a wheel cleaner that says safe on clear coated wheels and see how it works. Agitate with a soft cloth (wear gloves).
Originally Posted by dogememe
Originally Posted by Donald

Picture of said wheel? What you can do is dependent on what type of wheel it is and how it's coated.

+1

If unsure start with a wheel cleaner that says safe on clear coated wheels and see how it works. Agitate with a soft cloth (wear gloves).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back