DirecTV rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last weekend while I was doing my yard work I noticed that our dog had chewed up the coax cable going into the house from the satellite box on the outside of the house. We are still getting our service, the cable is chewed up pretty badly and will certainly cause us a loss of service if not replaced soon. I called DTV tech support immediately to schedule a repair tech to come to the house and replace the cable, at my expense of course. They told me the tech would come by today between 8 am and noon, and he would give me a 30 minute out call for a heads up. 1145 arrives and I've heard nothing, so I call them to find out what's going on. They said they showed no appointment scheduled, even though I had a confirmation number, they still said I wasn't scheduled. Keep in mind, these calls are clearly going to some call center where the people you speak to have very heavy, middle eastern accents, and they are difficult to understand, and I'm sure I'm difficult for them to understand. This, I believe is the problem. Why do these places insist on using these call centers? If they knew how much of a problem the language barriers caused by using these places causes, I'm sure they'd quit using them. I had gotten great service from DTV before they started using these places, but lately I've been looking for a reason to drop them, and this may just be the one. I hate dealing with these places as the results are usually the same every time I do...unsatisfactory...end of rant...

Cut the cord! Add up your bill after ten years of service. Corporations are looking for the most profit. No one really cares from big Corporations.

Agreed. Call to cancel. Tell them why. If they don't make things right they were worth dumping.

What I always do is call these services and tell them I'm cutting the cord if they don't make me a deal,and it works every time.

If you like their service cut the satellite cord and just go with directvnow or switch to playstationvue. Both have plenty of channels for MUCH less money than satellite/cable companies. Just need high speed internet.

This is what happens when bean-counters/MBAs take hold. Only thing that matters is the bottom line, not really the customers paying their salary.

Just look at what happened to Dell a few decades ago. They had great reputation for CS. Then they out-sourced it to some third-world call center. The solution is to inflict their own CS upon those who implimented it.

From the customers POV, they can do their own work if capable. Faster, easier, no waiting.

Not just bean counters but DirectTV is a legacy product now... eg nearly obsolete. They are trying to wring what money they can from it. I would be surprised if they launched replacement satellites for when the current ones wear out.

I can tell you that streaming is the future-however it's not going to be any cheaper once you un-bundle your services. Also-streaming is far from perfected-at this point.

My total cable bill is $147.00 This includes 200mbps/down. If I were to un-bundle it would be $99.00 just for Internet. So -I get 147 channels plus home phone for the difference.

"Cut the Cord" is all the rage. However-once you start crunching numbers (depending on your location-and if you have a viable competitor to your local cable monopoly) it's not that easy.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Not just bean counters but DirectTV is a legacy product now... eg nearly obsolete. They are trying to wring what money they can from it. I would be surprised if they launched replacement satellites for when the current ones wear out.

It's already been stated they wish to over all their customers to the streaming service. No hardware at the customer's location-no satellites to worry about. However-I just ran in to guys still trying to sell DTV's conventional product in Walmart just last night.

Last edited:
Dint they get bought up by ATT? As for the the cable, make sure the outside braid is intact. Doesn't have to be 100% . Cover the damaged portion with tape and get on with life.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by andyd
Dint they get bought up by ATT? As for the the cable, make sure the outside braid is intact. Doesn't have to be 100% . Cover the damaged portion with tape and get on with life.
grin2.gif

Yes, they did get bought out by ATT, and that may be where they went into the crapper....as far as the cable goes, our dog bit through the insulation and some of the wires, covering it with tape will just keep it from failing until later on...

replacing that cable if necessary is an easy DIY or anyone handy!! i installed my complete system years ago but since moved to Dish that had better progamming for me + better pricing!! i pay $53.02 monthly on the promo i got last year, enough sports + the Velocity channel i wanted but was not about to give direct even more for it!!! switch on a 2 year deal + save $$$$. TV is the biggest waste of $$$, i used to shut direct off for the 6 mo of warmer weather as i watch little then. that helped make it a better value.

$1-$2 an hour vs $15+. They won't change. With ATT you used to be able to ask for level 2 support and they would transfer you to a call center state side. Don't know if that still works.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by benjy
replacing that cable if necessary is an easy DIY or anyone handy!! i installed my complete system years ago but since moved to Dish that had better progamming for me + better pricing!! i pay $53.02 monthly on the promo i got last year, enough sports + the Velocity channel i wanted but was not about to give direct even more for it!!! switch on a 2 year deal + save $$$$. TV is the biggest waste of $$$, i used to shut direct off for the 6 mo of warmer weather as i watch little then. that helped make it a better value.

The problem isn't that I lack the know how to replace the cable, the problem is it goes into a box that's sealed by DTV, otherwise, I'd just replace it myself...

I would call and ask to speak to someone to cancel, do not talk to anyone else. They have the means to do about anything. Tell them the bill is too high and you want to cancel. I did it and got different pricing for packages and promos (It also worked to get me a free 4K box)

They give discounts for customer loyalty on the channel packages as well. I have the newest wireless DVR (can record 7 shows) and two of the wireless boxes for $45. Might also wave the service call fee.

Also: If you had the protection plan, it would have been free, and if box takes a crap its free etc etc.

Originally Posted by CKN

My total cable bill is $147.00 This includes 200mbps/down. If I were to un-bundle it would be $99.00 just for Internet. So -I get 147 channels plus home phone for the difference.

Cable desperately, desperately wants video customers. They brag to the networks about a not-shrinking base. They'll finagle the numbers however they want to make being all-inclusive look like the best deal.

Internet for $100? Yikes!

We were having some kind of issue with our equipment last month. We called for repair and were told that there would be a charge. We told them to come and get their equipment upon which they said they would be out at no charge.

Also, if you get a rate increase or want a lower rate, call and ask for customer retention. We keep our rate low by doing this every year. The guy at customer retention also told us to always call and ask for customer retention as they have the power to adjust rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back