DirecTV/Nexstar dispute

My local Fox station has been off the air since July 2nd due to a rate dispute with Nexstar. Has anyone else here been affected? We have the options of receiving Fox local channels over the air or a plethora of streaming options, Fubo etc. I’m about ready to cut the cord! :mad:

I think this is great news. One example, for over twenty years every American household that pays for cable and/ or satellite TV has been required to pay ESPN up to $7.50 per month to have cable/ satellite service. Yet many cable/ satellite users never watch ESPN.

It is a hidden and complex web on how this works. Would love to see the practice of mandatorily forcing payments for channels never watched ended.

Your local Fox station should not be charging YOU to watch their station, either directly or indirectly. It is a commercial station. If they want to charge you, they should not be broadcasting on public airways.

I think this is great news. One example, for over twenty years every American household that pays for cable and/ or satellite TV has been required to pay ESPN up to $7.50 per month to have cable/ satellite service. Yet many cable/ satellite users never watch ESPN.

It is a hidden and complex web on how this works. Would love to see the practice of mandatorily forcing payments for channels never watched ended.

Your local Fox station should not be charging YOU to watch their station, either directly or indirectly. It is a commercial station. If they want to charge you, they should not be broadcasting on public airways.
Exactly! I am tired of paying for all of the ESPN and Disney channels. As soon as it cools off a little, I’m having an antenna or two put up.

The traditional pay TV industry (cable/satellite) is collapsing. The industry has lost 25 million subscribers in the last 5 years, and the networks are trying to make up for the loss of revenue by drastically raising rates which is just causing more churn. We're going to see more and more of these disputes and cable companies starting to exit the video business and focus on internet.

The traditional pay TV industry (cable/satellite) is collapsing. The industry has lost 25 million subscribers in the last 5 years, and the networks are trying to make up for the loss of revenue by drastically raising rates which is just causing more churn. We're going to see more and more of these disputes and cable companies starting to exit the video business and focus on internet.
Is it possible that networks / sports are getting a disproportionate amount of money for the services they provide? Maybe their entire cost structure needs to change. Instead of corporate jets and nine figure retirement payouts for the network executives....... and nine figure guaranteed salaries for athletes....

If the marketplace they (allegedly) compete in had barriers to market removed, all of us would be paying pennies on the dollar for their services. Or maybe not pay anything.... not so long ago advertising paid all of their bills.... but the executives and athletes were not making nine figures at that time....

Last edited:
Dish tv used to do this every year. Use their customers as negotiation tools for lower charges from the networks. Being rural and not having OTA or cable choices, I was stuck until I got internet service good enough to use Youtube TV. Now I just suffer when the internet goes down.

Dish tv used to do this every year. Use their customers as negotiation tools for lower charges from the networks. Being rural and not having OTA or cable choices, I was stuck until I got internet service good enough to use Youtube TV. Now I just suffer when the internet goes down.
nothing much has changed with Dish , i'm about fed up with them

My cable bill is $7 a month from FrndlyTV. Beings I can watch Bloomberg TV+ on Amazon Firestick as a Prime member for gratis. my financial updates and events are covered. FrndlyTV gives me the History Channel, The Weather Channel (now just a nanny channel IMO), Heroes and Icons, Me TV and a couple others. I like the fact that I can DVR the Me TV and H&I channels. Don't care much about sports. I watch the Chiefs and tennis occasionally. Sure beats $61 a month to Sling TV for only a couple more channels that I watched.

i might add that my local cable SECTV WONT give you basic cable alone + requires added internet $$$ how is this legal!! big money runs the country + they get away with overcharging, wheres the FAIRNESS!!

I use DirecTV stream and haven’t had local Fox for a few months either. Fortunately I can log into my in-laws’ Spectrum account and get the Fox broadcasted sports.

Back