dipstick tube sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
i wish. he is more interested in washing it and fitting bigger speakers than mechanical things. However, we did a lot of things together on this car like replacing lower control arms/end links/swaybar bushings (very problem prone in this car), new alternator, new head unit and speakers, and some other minor things. the biggest accomplishment was rebuilding a starter and refishing alloy wheels, so yes, there was some quality bonding time.

Thanks for your reply...sounds like a fine young man.

Our 21-year-old is sharp with head units and GPS installations. Electronics and IT stuff are his forte.
Now he's off at university studying electrical and computer engineering.

Perhaps you can understand my (private) disappointment when performing our DIY OCs and 'quality' garage time together he shared...
"dad, I'm just going to take mine to the dealership [for service]."

His is a different generation but I'm certain he'll find his way though life. Just like yours.

update: i checked the dipstick a week later and see no more of this "sludge" anymore. i added some MMO and will pull a valvecover when the gasket arrives from amazon (it's a bit pricy for this engine). i was going to pull a valvecover anyway to install a new chain tensioner.

i'll follow up with pictures.

Any reason why you want to change the t chain tensioner? I have the same motor with an older style tensioner and it doesnt rattle so I havent messed with it at all. I believe they udated the tensioner 3 times and the latest update was when the LNF turbo came out in 2008.

Originally Posted By: stower17
Any reason why you want to change the t chain tensioner? I have the same motor with an older style tensioner and it doesnt rattle so I havent messed with it at all. I believe they udated the tensioner 3 times and the latest update was when the LNF turbo came out in 2008.

i understand the early tensioners (mine is 2003) allow for excessive chain slop on start. there is indeed a momentary loud noise on start. the new tensioner + gasket cost is $50. i prefer that expense rather than my son stranded at some inconvenient place or time.

I would def change it too if theres some sort of startup rattle. I believe the second design was in the 2003 or 2004 model year so its good to change it. The latest design has a "Bump" on the head of the tensioner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back