Dipstick lost shine and is rough WTH??

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone can chime in and explain a reason the oil dipstick on my Sonata 6k mi. would have a rough and discolored end extending about 3 1/2 inches up. This is a new vehicle and I have changed the oil at least 3 times to flush it. The dipstick is bright smooth and shiny the rest of the way up.

Two things I was possibly thinking
1. Fuel dilution eating away at the metal
2. It had experienced very high oil temps. (though the vehicle has never overheated)

Thanks for the help

I think it was that way since new my brothes kia is the same way since day one. It is made for easy reading

Originally Posted By: dave123
I think it was that way since new my brothes kia is the same way since day one. It is made for easy reading

The OP meant that it was fine before this change but it now has discoloration and the metal appears rough.

Confirming - Your dipstick was like that new. I have two 2011 Kias and their dipsticks are like yours. I think it is to make checking the oil level easier.

They are made that way because oil will adhere better to porous surfaces than those that are slick, it produces a more accurate reading of oil level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: chubbs1
My....dipstick.......rough and discolored end extending about 3 1/2 inches up

Yikes.

I don't exactly follow. Is it dry and crusty, or the cleaned metal is now actually pitted and rough? What color is it?

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Yikes.

I don't exactly follow. Is it dry and crusty,

And is there any pus forming?

Its that way from the factory.

also most of the engines with a front dipstick will form light varnish(on the dipstick) easily

I polished my dipstick so that it would not catch paper fibers when I wipe the oil off of the end.

There doesn't appear to a good way to say that^^

Thanks for the responses, maybe that is the way it is supposed to be. It was shiny new and changed color and is rough. Some Hyundai/Kia owners have seen this so I don't think I'll panic.

And yes, I did like the humor involved...lol

sick minds here on BITOG
wink.gif

I clearly don't understand something in this thread. The way I am reading it, manufacturers are sending bright, shining dipsticks out the door, but then they are turning rough and/or dull with time.

I can accept rough from the start, but the idea that a dipstick is smooth from the factory but designed to corrode in oil doesn't make any sense to me.

Originally Posted By: GMorg
I clearly don't understand something in this thread. The way I am reading it, manufacturers are sending bright, shining dipsticks out the door, but then they are turning rough and/or dull with time.

I can accept rough from the start, but the idea that a dipstick is smooth from the factory but designed to corrode in oil doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm with you.

A bright shiny dip stick you would THINK would remain that way especially with a light film of oil vapors constantly in contact with it.

It seems to me that somehow the metal is either degrading from not being manufactured properly or to a substandard level or the oil itself is causing the problem. I'd wager on the former theory.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Pablo

Yikes.

I don't exactly follow. Is it dry and crusty,

And is there any pus forming?

I LOL'ed

idk about you guys but when i pull out my dipstick shortly after the engine was running the dipstick is covered in oil. atleast 10 inches up the stick has oil on it. so if it was the oil causing the metal to change it would not only be the bottom 3 inches, and if the oil only does touch the bottom 3 inches of the stick on this car it would be easy to tell if its the oil or part of the manufacturing of the dip stick. iff the dull metal slowly tapers into shiney metal it could be oil, if it stops sharply its got to be from the manufacturer.

If the dipstick is faded at the end for easier oil reading or from the oil eating at the m etal it should be easy to validate either way.

how about some pictures of your dipstick?
we can discuss how so and so is being silly or discussing theories without even seeing something that seems to be unseen before and get no where.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back