Dip Stick

2013 Fiesta Hatch 5 Speed Manual SE
When I did oil changes I Added oil and then checked the dip stick and then added until the oil came up to the full mark. This time I drained oil, installed new filter and added 4 measured liters of oil. ran engine checking for leaks and then checked the dip stick. Oil only came up to the 1 qt? liter? low mark. I continued to add almost another quart of oil until the stick indicated full.

Ford specs 4 liters/4.2 quarts. Either their spec or dipstick is wrong. As I said earlier I previously filled to the full marking on the dip stick. for 8 years w/no overfill problems.

I did overfill my Datsun once. I had installed a new oil pan and gaskets. Got ready to go somewhere, and checked the dip stick which indicated no oil. Could not believe I made that mistake so added 4 quarts. Took off and blew oil smoke for about 60 miles. Turned out that the cork oil pan gasket did not have a hole for the dip stick and wiped it clean every time I pulled it out.

When you run your engine, you're going to pull oil up in to the head and it won't be able to drain back down immediately. It's best to wait 10 minutes or so, or even overnight, and then check it again once the oil has had a chance to settle back down.

2013 Fiesta Hatch 5 Speed Manual SE
When I did oil changes I Added oil and then checked the dip stick and then added until the oil came up to the full mark. This time I drained oil, installed new filter and added 4 measured liters of oil. ran engine checking for leaks and then checked the dip stick. Oil only came up to the 1 qt? liter? low mark. I continued to add almost another quart of oil until the stick indicated full.

Ford specs 4 liters/4.2 quarts. Either their spec or dipstick is wrong. As I said earlier I previously filled to the full marking on the dip stick. for 8 years w/no overfill problems.

I did overfill my Datsun once. I had installed a new oil pan and gaskets. Got ready to go somewhere, and checked the dip stick which indicated no oil. Could not believe I made that mistake so added 4 quarts. Took off and blew oil smoke for about 60 miles. Turned out that the cork oil pan gasket did not have a hole for the dip stick and wiped it clean every time I pulled it out.
My 07 F150, 4.2 V6 holds 6 qts. of oil, with filter. The dipstick has always read about a 1/4" below the full line/mark when 6 qts. are added. If Ford specs 6 qts., it gets 6 qts. Not 6.25, not even 6.5. 6qts.

When you run your engine, you're going to pull oil up in to the head and it won't be able to drain back down immediately. It's best to wait 10 minutes or so, or even overnight, and then check it again once the oil has had a chance to settle back down.
I know that. It was at the same low level the next day. I agree that it takes time for the oil to circulate back down but I don't think there would be a quart difference if I did not wait.

Back