Dino oil recommendations 04 + WRX ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've searched BITOG and NASOIC and still am left wondering..........I'd like to know what some people are using as a good quality dino oil, and what weights. What would be a good dino oil to use in the VA/MD climate?

The driving would be occasionally aggressive. This will be the 1st OC at 2200 miles on an 05 wrx.

Thanks please LMK.

Turbo, right? Why do you want dino? Leased? If cost is a major factor, try the WallyWorld full-synth 10w-30. Full synth (albeit Grp III) on the cheap.

If you MUST run dino in that thing, at least make it a good HDEO like Rotella, Delo, or Delvac in 15w40, & change it often. That's my $.02

Oh yeah, use a good oil filter, too.
smile.gif

I guess I don't want to go to a syn right now, because it seems that some of those who did in these motors, complained of oil dissipation early on in there use of M1 5-30, which I understand is a thinner 30wt. I may change to synthetic in a few oc's

I guess I'm actually looking for a heavier 30wt dino which may be hard to come by in comparison to a syn.
Of course I figure much shorter oci's also.
Yes it's a turbo.

Thanks.....LMK

My local Subaru dealer likes to spread FUD about Subaru only recommending dino oil in their engines. My roommate got a lecture about it when he signed the papers on his 05 Legacy GT. Maybe that's why the OP wants to go dino?

OP - One of my coworkers runs Mobil1 10w30 in his 03 WRX. It's his daily driver, he's got a very heavy foot, and it's seen a good amount of autocross duty. He's not kind to it. No consumption of any kind, and he's right around 35K miles.

quote:

Originally posted by VTEC01EX:
My local Subaru dealer likes to spread FUD about Subaru only recommending dino oil in their engines....

This is not FUD. Subaru does only recommend using dino in their motors as that is what they test them with. However their party line is that synthetic can be used but they have not done any testing with it.

Personally in my 2004 WRX I use Exxon Super-Flo (dino) every 4k miles. I looked through the oil analysis for this car and it appears to be gentle on oil.

quote:

Originally posted by rjundi:
This is not FUD. Subaru does only recommend using dino in their motors as that is what they test them with. However their party line is that synthetic can be used but they have not done any testing with it.

It does sound like FUD.
Subaru has issues with those engines. And synthetics somehow make them more pronounced.
Just an observation.

seems like a lot of folks on here are big fans of using a HDEO synthetic in engines like this. Makes sinse considering these oils are designed with the big turbos in diesels in mind. They have an add-pack that keeps things clean, even when you abuse the oil with a turbo.

delvac 5w40, (T&SUV)... very popular around here for turbo sports cars.

XenoX I ran Mobil 1 10w-30 (not EP)through the summer during all the heat with the a/c blasting for just over 7,500 miles and consumed about 1/3 quart during the entire interval in my 05 Legacy GT. The oil was quite dark when I drained it but the UOA came back pretty good with a TBN of over 3. I didn't baby the car and probably 'pushed it' at least twice weekly.

You'll probably find that if you go dino that it might shear in under 2,000 miles, maybe well under.

Side note: I've got TSUV in there now and there's def less engine noise with it.

I know i will get slammed for this but you can use Havoline 10w30 all year long . Many on here think only synthetic in a turbo, thats not true Havoline 10w30 will do a great job protecting this engine even under severe driving conditions.In any turbo use a engine lube with the least amount of VI improvers, thats why i recommend 10w30.

I am a proud owner of a '02 WRX. Other than one oil change with Pennzoil I have used nothing but Amsoil ATM 10w30. I currently have 107k miles and the car runs amazing with not a drop of oil missing after 6k miles.

I have done several analysis on this oil, if you do a search you will find them.

This is a car that runs very hot underhood temperatures do to the turbo. I live in SoCal and when it is 110 degrees in the desert you will feel much more at ease with a good quality synthetic and filter. In my opinion of course.

I am no oil expert but with the analysis I have done I know that this oil does a fantastic job.

Thanks
grin.gif

FWIW, I ran conventional oil and semi-synthetic in my '05 STi up until the 10,000 mile mark. At that time I made the jump over to synthetic (German Castrol Syntec 0W-30). All of the UOA's on my previous fills are here:

Mobil Drive Clean 5w-30 (GF-4), 2,503 miles

Motorcraft Semi-Synthetic 5w-30 (GF-4), 2,641 miles

Mobil Clean 7500 10w-30, 2,480 miles

Note that all three oils sheared out of grade in a short 2,500 miles. If you do run conventional oil in your WRX for a few oil changes, I'd stick with a 2,500-3,000 mile OCI.

Finally, if I were to do it all over again, I'd probably try conventional Havoline 10W-30 or 5W-30 oil as I've been impressed with their performance in numerous UOA's.

Forgot to add...I'm planning on running the German Castrol out to 5,000 miles and sending off a sample to Blackstone for analysis.

SilverGGA...My WRX is 100% stock. I bought the car as a commuter and have no plans on modifing it.

Plus I want to see if I can get over 200k out of the car with no major repairs.

SilverGGA- The wrx will have Cobb stage 2 285 hp at the flywheel downpipe and ecu map changes, I hear it is a conservative tune.

rjundi- Noted on the Superflo (10-30?) and do you drive it a very spirited manner occasionally ?

Ed_T - Does the engine feel like it's less willing to rev, or no difference? I too like this option,(TSUV) LMK

drums57- Yes I've been thinking about this one also.

Thanks for the input to everyone!!! Any additional opinions please LMK.

I will certainley be running short OCIs'w/dino,
but still would like a protective oil.

quote:

Originally posted by OILNEWBY:
SilverGGA...My WRX is 100% stock. I bought the car as a commuter and have no plans on modifing it.

Plus I want to see if I can get over 200k out of the car with no major repairs.

Good for you! I also use mine daily and I am debating whether I should just run it stock.

You are getting good advice here. My 2 cents:

Just follow the owner's manual's viscosity recommendation. If your car sees 0F, use 5w-30. If it doesn't, then 10w-30/10w-40. 10w-40 especially if you run it hard.

The Subaru crowd's general believe is to use dino until 10k miles. My rationale is that using dino in short intervals is not going to hurt the car, and that was what I did with my WRX. First oil change @ 2600mi with Mobil 10w-30. Then did 3 changes at short intervals with Chevron 10w-40 until I reached 10k miles.

Then I used Mobil 5w-40 from 10-15k (had UOA), then Mobil 0w-40 for 15-20k and 20-25k. At 25k I switched to Mobil EP 10w-40 and I currently have 26k on the car. I burn some oil towards the end of my 5k oil changes with Mobil 5w-40 and 0w-40, maybe 1/2 qt or so. Hopefully the 10w-40 EP will fair better.

If you are "extra paranoid" about warranty, make sure you use the Mobil 5w-30/10w-30 which meets the API SM and GF-4. I am not saying that you will have trouble with warranty running other oils though, which I personally don't. But since you are going Cobb Stage 2 anyway, I assume you won't be concerend about this.

Hopefully you get your Cobb Stage 2 pro-tuned. I currently have Cobb Stage 1 and is thinking about Stage 2 too.

quote:

Originally posted by XenoX:
SilverGGA- The wrx will have Cobb stage 2 285 hp at the flywheel downpipe and ecu map changes, I hear it is a conservative tune.

SilverGGA-

Thanks for taking the time out, it does make good sense.

Was there any difference in throttle response between the 10-30 and 10-40, I am interested in protection firstly, I'd like to know what to expect in this motor, and sounds like you have the
practical experience!!

I went with the Cobb stg 1 to get rid of the OBD2 Tier 2 Fuel enrichment delivery delay operation,I hope I explained this right as it is worse than it sounds. I know MYO5 was included in this, Since I have the Cobb AP I'm a downpipe away from stg 2.......I too am "just" thinking about it.

Ok thanks again.

I personally couldn't notice any difference the way the car runs and its throttle response between 30 weight (stock and 1st oil change) and 40 weight (after 1st oil change). I know it makes a difference theoretically, and some people "do claim" that they cars are faster with a thinner viscoisty...
rolleyes.gif

My advice is run the oil viscosity suitable for your environment according to the manual. ie 30 weight if it's cold/during the winter months, 40 weight for California/Floria summer temperatures, or 50 weight in Las Vegas/Arizona summers, just for example. When in doubt, an UOA will tell you whether your oil is working well and you can adjust accordingly. I am sure it'll be fine. Cars are not that picky in terms of oil viscosity unless it is way off, as long as you change it on time, and use a good quality oil.

I don't think I've seen any bad UOA in this forum due to incorrect viscosity. One gentleman even ran 5w-20 in his Ferrari with no problems!
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by XenoX:
SilverGGA-

Was there any difference in throttle response between the 10-30 and 10-40, I am interested in protection firstly, I'd like to know what to expect in this motor, and sounds like you have the
practical experience!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back