Differential oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some questions regarding oil for my differentials, and hope some of you can help me out. I have a 2013 Mitsubishi Pajero, don't think this car is sold in the US but the principles will be the same i believe. For those of you that don't know about the Mitsubishi Pajero, it's very similar to the Toyota Land Crusier 4x4.

My owners manual states to use API GL-5 SAE 80 oil in both front and rear differential.

I live in Norway, the temperatures here can go from -25°C (-13°F) Winter to +30°C (+86°F) Summer, but typically it's around -10/-15°C (14/5°F) in the winter months and around +20°C (68°F) in the summer months.

Would a SAE 80 properly lubricate the components of my diff's at all these temperatures? And is there such a thing as full synthetic SAE 80? can only find mineral oils(Ravenol and LiquyMoly).

Could i replace the SAE 80 with a full synthetic API-GL5 SAE 75w-90?

When i asked a authorized Mitsubishi dealer what oil's they used for servicing these cars they said they used Valvoline 75w-90 synthetic blend. And to add to my confusion they said it was an limited slip oil as well, my car is from what i can tell open diff in front and mechanical lock in the rear that i can activate by flipping the switch inside the car.

Why would they use a LS oil for this application? is there any benefits using LS oil in a non LSD? would LS additives harm a non LSD diff or my mechanical lock/function?

Just recently started to read up on oil's and cant say i feel any more educated yet =P hopefully some of you guys can help me out =)

I have a 1994 Montero (Pajero) gen 2. I have limited slip and the rear locker. Mitsu sells a friction modifier (OEM# ME581050) 7.5ml that must be added. But, I can only speak for my model. Mitsu does make it's own Diaqueen differential fluid.

I will let the experts answer the other questions. The Friction Modifier is not expensive.

Good luck!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Do you have a LSD in the front and lock in the rear diff? Don't think the 4 gen have this, I have the workshop manual and cant see any clutch disks in either front or rear diff.

I am aware of the Diaqueen oil's but dont think they are available here, dealer use Valvoline fluids. I think the Diaqueen gear oils are mineral oils too, and i would like to use full synthetic or at least a blend.

the price of the oil/additive is not my main concern, i am going to keep the car for a long time so i want to use the best stuff available.

Thank you for your reply =)

Additional reading here (gear&diff oil wiki)
smile.gif
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1231182/Synchromesh_Manual_Transmissio

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

LSD oil will not harm open (or locking) diff...

You can use 75w90 instead off 80w any time...

This.

smile.gif
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1231182/Synchromesh_Manual_Transmissio

75-90 synthetic wii be fine. Normally a locker does not need the LS additive and normally there is not room to have the LS feature and the limited slip feature in the same diff, but this is just experience from North American manufacturers.
I would leave the LS additive out but if they insist, it won’t harm anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
smile.gif

75-90 synthetic wii be fine. Normally a locker does not need the LS additive and normally there is not room to have the LS feature and the limited slip feature in the same diff, but this is just experience from North American manufacturers.
I would leave the LS additive out but if they insist, it won’t harm anything.

Are they planning on making an electric version of this vehicle?

Originally Posted By: 4M41V5AWF
I have a 2013 Mitsubishi Pajero.
My owners manual states to use API GL-5 SAE 80 oil in both front and rear differential.

I live in Norway, the temperatures here can go from -25°C (-13°F) Winter to +30°C (+86°F) Summer, but typically it's around -10/-15°C (14/5°F) in the winter months and around +20°C (68°F) in the summer months.

Would a SAE 80 properly lubricate the components of my diff's at all these temperatures? And is there such a thing as full synthetic SAE 80? can only find mineral oils(Ravenol and LiquyMoly).

Short answer, absolute yes in this Ravenol EPX SAE 80 GL5 , an ISO 150 gear oil.

No, one probably can't find a fully synthetic SAE 80 .... yet.

Quote:
Could i replace the SAE 80 with a full synthetic API-GL5 SAE 75w-90?

Yes,you could ....with a Valvoline syngear 75W90, a weaker grade in ISO 100 gear oil.

However with a minimum loss of 20% MOFT in a Valvoline 75W90 ....and
Widman

..an inferior shear-stability property that is of pertinent importance in gear train operation.

Quote:
I have the workshop manual and cant see any clutch disks in either front or rear diff.

That is an open differrential.
However LS additive in a GL5 wouldn't cause any harm though, as others above had said.

OP, if you must have a fully synthetic gear oil in the Pajero, then consider a 75W110 viscosity grade.

Thank you all for taking your time and answering my questions =)

Not sure i fully understand it all yet but i hope i will find some products that will fit my application =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back