Differential fluid for G35 (AWD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an '08 G35 w/ AWD and am planning to change the differential fluid soon. The spec it calls for is

Quote:
Genuine NISSAN Differential Oil Hypoid Super GL-5 80W-90 or API GL-5 viscosity SAE 80W-90

I've seen different gear oils and some indicate they're for limited-slip differentials while others say nothing about this. I picked up this Lucas heavy-duty 80W-90 gear oil the other day but haven't used it yet. It meets the GL-5 spec part. What else do I need to consider ?

Looking at the technical sheet - just now - I see that it exceeds "PG-2 Limited Slip" spec. A sales type sheet also says it's "designed for hypoid gears". Admittedly, when I was looking at it in the store, I only saw the "GL-2" spec part and felt it was proper oil.

Reading other forums, watching videos, etc, others are using anything from Autozone-branded gear oil to basic Valvoline gear oil, etc. Seems like this Lucas stuff should be acceptable for this vehicle. Is that the case ?

Last edited:
Fellow G35x owner here.

I've always done Mobil1 75w90 but your Lucas should be good as well.

Dont forget the transfer case.

Amsoil severe gear 75w90 is going in my avalanche this weekend, after i finish replacing the water pump and all the hoses.

I don’t like Lucas but I’m sure it will be fine. Even super tech 80w90 would be good. I use ST all the time and zero issues

Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle
Fellow G35x owner here.

Dont forget the transfer case.

Yes, it's on my to-do list. What do you use, Matic-D or an ATF that meets the Matic-D spec ?

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Amsoil is the preferred choice if the OM says GL5 Hypoid.

Preferred by 'who' ?

Matic D is really just normal Dextron that came out in like 1995ish.

I ran Redline D4 my first drain and fill and then my second time i ran normal Castrol import ATF.

A lot of Nissan/infinti forum guys like Redline fluids over X. If i can find them for reasonable price i would get it. Good thing about these cars are they not super picky on fluids.

...and then my second time i ran normal Castrol import ATF.

I happen to have Castrol IMV ATF on hand too.

A lot of Nissan/infinti forum guys like Redline fluids over X. If i can find them for reasonable price i would get it. Good thing about these cars are they not super picky on fluids.

That's funny you say that because, just like with every automaker's vehicles, there are those who believe 100% without a doubt that if you use anything other than what the automaker says, your [insert part that requires lubrication] will fail. What is their response when that same part fails yet the owner used the actual spec'd fluid though ? Silence....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back