Different weight/brand oil helps MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]interesting that 5W-30, 10W-30 PP have lower 40C and 100C visc than M1 0W-30

and the HTHS is better
21.gif

The higher the HTHS the worse the gas mileage you get. Since M1 markets their 0w oils(green cap) as gas saving/energy conserving oils the lower HTHS makes sense.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Why would you say Maxlife is not good for MPG? I use a synthetic gear oil in the transmsission already, Pennzoil Synchromesh. It or the Mopar fluid is the only lube I can use in it. I use Valvoline 75W90 conventional gear oil in the rear end. At the next change for it I plan to use Valvoline synth 75w90 so I won't have to change it so often.

I calculated my MPG from my last 2 fuel fill-ups and it's about 20.5, which I guess is pretty good for a 3000 pound truck that is underpowered with a 175 hp engine. I know of others with the same truck are getting way less MPG, around 14 or 15 MPG. But who knows what shape they are in and what the driving conditions are. I'm really just curious to see if a different oil would help me improve my own MPG. I'm also curious and a little anxious about what kind of prices we will see for gas this summer. I am trying to get all the miles I can from the gas I buy.

Thanks for the help.

Because the Maxlife grades tend to be at the high end of the viscosity range for the grade in question. It's just part of the equation for high-mileage oils (but not the only factor, of course).

Interestingly enough (I think...), I just this weekend changed the oil in my Camry Hybrid, and based upon language in the manual, decided to try some of my old green GC (a thick 30) instead of the normally recommended xw-20 oils (see the thread I started today). Not too surprisingly, my mpgs are down by at least two or three.

I have to say I've had decent luck using MaxLife 5W-30 in my Pontiac 2.2L OHV. The original EPA estimate was a somewhat disappointing 21 city and 31 hwy. But I tend to get around 30-31 m.p.g. in mixed driving during the warmer months it seems whether I use ML or Pennzoil Platinum. It should be noted that although ML is a bit thicker at operating temp., it also has an excellent pour point of -42 --rivaling many full synthetics. And while I could be wrong, I think some older engines even with normal, minor wear issues can begin to benefit compression-wise with a slightly thicker oil...

As for the thread starter, he might try going to a 5W-30 such as MaxLife or a synthetic 5W-30

Thanks again. After reading on here and other web sites, I think I will just stick with what has been working fine so far. I used Maxlife for about 40,000 miles but the last few OCI's I changed to the Napa house brand HM, in the same 10W30 grade, and it seemed to get great MPG, but I never actually calculated it. My truck gets pretty good MPG for an underpowered 175 hp V6 in a 3000 pound pickup truck. I am really convinced Maxlife and the Napa brand HM are just about the same.

What started this whole thread was on my last OC I used Maxlife because Napa had it on sale, I think it was $2.99 a quart. I have noticed on this last one my MPG seemed a little less than with Napa oil. I have to wonder if Maxlife is a little thicker, due to a difference in their add pack. I am going to keep monitoring my MPG and see how it does.

Thanks again for the help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back